• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar 6LP-STE raw water water float switch

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yanmar 6LP-STE raw water water float switch

Post by Yearwood »

About 10 years ago I replaced the raw water float switch. It had a plastic shaft which the float eroded over time to create ridges resulting in the float hanging up. The replacement sounded an alarm a couple of weeks ago and while the cause may be different (dirty coolers) I thought I would replace the switch. The original switch has two wires coming out. The replacement, which appears to have a bronze shaft, has only one. How is it to be connected? Still awaiting info from distributor and Yanmar. I can take an informed guess but would rather be sure.
Don
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Yanmar 6LP-STE raw water water float switch

Post by Yearwood »

Appears that my informed guess is correct. Yanmar states I can dead end the black line and simply hook up the blue white to the new switch. Apparently the conductive metals on the new switch provide the ground obviating the need for the second black wire.
Don
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Post by sweetwater »

Where exactly is that float so I can check mine? Thanks!
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

6LP raw water flow switch (1).jpg
Here's the cap removed during an intercooler service so you can see the float mechanism:
IMG_5660.JPEG
IMG_5658.JPEG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Yes the photos are of the original or "old" float switch terrific. If the float hangs up it sets off the heat alarm but it is a flow alarm so you can catch a raw water system failure before the engine overheats.
Don
trueworldmarine
Mate
Mate

Post by trueworldmarine »

I had a similar problem with my switch originally took it out tested it with a test light off in the up position activates with ring in base low position tested fine until I removed it again alarm activated in both up and down position time for a replacement. Very costly item to purchase through Yanmar. I'm trying to find a aftermarket replacement. What did you end up doing?
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

I replaced that switch a few months ago, the new one came with 2 wires.
Expensive little switches, think I paid $90 something :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

trueworldmarine wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:04 am I had a similar problem with my switch originally took it out tested it with a test light off in the up position activates with ring in base low position tested fine until I removed it again alarm activated in both up and down position time for a replacement. Very costly item to purchase through Yanmar. I'm trying to find a aftermarket replacement. What did you end up doing?

I bought thru yanmar
Don Y
Don
trueworldmarine
Mate
Mate

I ended up biting the bullet and sucking it up best price I found was $160 for that switch will probably be the last last one I buy in my life time for this engine. Next project is to replace some hoses has anyone used corrugated radiator. hoses I need to make some custom bends may use silicone too any ideas.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

trueworldmarine wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:56 pm I ended up biting the bullet and sucking it up best price I found was $160 for that switch will probably be the last last one I buy in my life time for this engine. Next project is to replace some hoses has anyone used corrugated radiator. hoses I need to make some custom bends may use silicone too any ideas.
Wow, $160… :shock:
I will check my records, perhaps I paid that as well.

As for the hoses, take the old ones to a NAPA store and ask if they have similar size and shape hoses. You could get lucky..
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

I blew a raw water hose some years ago on the July 4th weekend and one son did the same at the same time on his Yanmar. He managed to find an auto hose that could be perfectly trimmed. We both installed it. Some months later it blew again. I replaced it with the Yanmar product and after hearing of my experience he did likewise.
Don
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. Some months later it blew again.
Ouch, too bad.
I used NAPA hoses on my previous boat with a Perkins engine, worked great, no difference from the original hoses.
trueworldmarine
Mate
Mate

Getting back to my hose issue I went to e bay I found 1 1/2 " silicone couplings in 45 degree and 90 degree angles 4" legs I will map out the correct straight pieces after I lay out the angles. The costly item will be the 1 1/2" aluminum Billet connectors also pricey @ at $8 each on Amazon. These original hoses have already lasted 21 years. with 1200hrs on engine. Need to also mention the intercoolers for the return fuel line and oil line will need to be replaced in time I found out the hard way when I had a interchange of salt water in my fuel tank. should you need yours replaced have them build in sink adapters to change out the zink. .
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. I ended up biting the bullet and sucking it up best price I found was $160 for that switch will probably be the last last one I buy in my life time for this engine.
You got off cheap :shock:
07BA7C65-DB50-46FF-93F2-B34E0C013636.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
trueworldmarine
Mate
Mate

Same price I asked for any kind of discount they offered 10 percent $160.25. One set of my silicone hoses arrived today 90 degree 4" leg. 4 ply they look good they are are supposed to out last conventional radiator hoses they do coat more I'm trying to spend down more of the kids inheritance.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”