• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

peninsular diesel starting issues

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Fimmy
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Monmouth beach

peninsular diesel starting issues

Post by Fimmy »

Hoping someone out there can give me some guidance. Was having a battery issue, and changed all my batteries. Actually found the problem was a loose connection. At the battery selector. After fixing that, the engine would crank again. However it won't start suddenly. I cracked the nut in a fuel injector and tried turning it over and see no fuel coming out. Replaced the primary fuel filter (can't find the secondary), and confirmed that I get fuel out of the lifter pump when I turn it over. Sounds like the solenoid on the injector pump moves when I turn the key on, but I can't seem to get any fuel out of the injector pump. Any tips on how to bleed the system, or what to try next would be much appreciated. Can't help but think this all started with replacing batteries and im missing something. Can't even call unique diesel anymore!
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: peninsular diesel

Post by jcollins »

<Creating new topic>
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
julio
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Tampa Fl

Re: peninsular diesel starting issues

Post by julio »

Make sure you are supplying a Good 12v to your injector pump as it acts like a door opening and closing with 12v supply. Also make sure your glowplugs work properly.
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Check/Replace your Glow plug relay
Starter could need a rebuild
My Peninsular had similar problems,good luck!
Fimmy
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Fimmy »

Hey guys, thanks for the help. Not sure how but it seems that it was just air bound. Bled all the injectors for while and got all the air out and finally got a good fuel flow. May have had a slightly loo6s fitting on the return line from the injection pump, but seems to be running fine again
fvreap
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: naknek

Post by fvreap »

Pedro wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:40 am Check/Replace your Glow plug relay
Starter could need a rebuild
My Peninsular had similar problems,good luck!
Any tips on where to find a glow plug replacement?
Fimmy
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Fimmy »

Just as a follow up, I found that the engine would only restart when warm. I removed all glow plugs and tested them with an ohm meter. Every one was bad! Replaced with new ones (ACDelco which I got at the local Auto zone) and it fired right up from a cold start!
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Great!!
Mine are quite old so that might be a good pm item!!
jrhess3
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Rochelle

Post by jrhess3 »

My peninsular diesel won't start when hot. The last few times I went out, it ran fine, 2 hours at least. When trying to restart the engine cranks but has no fuel. Even after letting it sit for 1/2 hour or more. Is this a fuel solenoid issue? Any ideas?
I searched this forum and found some answers, such as adding switch for the glow plug so that there is a cold starting option and a hot starting option. Has anyone had success with this? Apparently UDMarine had a kit for this.
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

If you haven’t already,,Look for articles mentioning clum relay,
jrhess3
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Rochelle

Post by jrhess3 »

My Peninsular starting issues were really caused by dying batteries. Replaced them, the new battery didn't have enough power to start the engine so I had a solenoid and switch installed that ties 3 batteries together for starting and then reverts back when the switch is let go. The new batteries were West Marine 31 AGM's.
20220812_184339_04.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
johngus
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: amity harbor NY

Post by johngus »

I put 2 8D batteries in my boat this summer and notice a huge difference on starting.It cranks really fast now and fires right up.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”