• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar 6LP Preheater

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yanmar 6LP Preheater

Post by johnmurray »

I had an alternator failure in my engine and the cause was found to be a failure of the controller, relay in the preheating system. What happened was the engine would start with the glow plugs working at start-up, but they did not shut off after the engine was running. This, in turn, caused the alternator to overheat and fail. When the alternator was replaced, and the preheater system was disconnected the alternator worked as it should. Given the warm weather we have up here in the summer and no boating in the winter, the preheating system appeared redundant. However a Yanmar representative told me that the preheating system also was a necessary function in controlling engine carbon buidup and should be functioning on start up regardless of the climate.
Has anyone else had a similar experience.
John Murray Albin 30FC katieg, Ottawa Ontario
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Re: Yanmar 6LP Preheater

Post by Jkraft »

johnmurray wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:12 am I had an alternator failure in my engine and the cause was found to be a failure of the controller, relay in the preheating system. What happened was the engine would start with the glow plugs working at start-up, but they did not shut off after the engine was running. This, in turn, caused the alternator to overheat and fail. When the alternator was replaced, and the preheater system was disconnected the alternator worked as it should. Given the warm weather we have up here in the summer and no boating in the winter, the preheating system appeared redundant. However a Yanmar representative told me that the preheating system also was a necessary function in controlling engine carbon buidup and should be functioning on start up regardless of the climate.
Has anyone else had a similar experience.
John Murray Albin 30FC katieg, Ottawa Ontario
I was told by a previous owner that the pre heaters stayed on and burned them up, but it didn’t kill the alternator. That problem was corrected since and they work great. When they turn off the alternator should bring the voltage back up. It’s a huge draw so if they are staying on I would think you would notice it on the volt meter. I like having mine, especially this time of year. It does help clear start up smoke faster as well. I am in the process of upgrading my alternator now but it’s not related to the heaters. I recall reading that the heaters were a optional item for cold climates, so I don’t totally buy that they are “required”. May be worth a call to Mack boring to find out
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Yanmar 6LP Preheater

Post by Tree »

Later engines had them fitted. Earlier engines without. Mine does t have them or ever had them - I’ve used the port where the bolt blanks it off as my take off for my boost gauge.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”