• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

water pump won't shut down

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

water pump won't shut down

Post by gmberkley »

New problem over the weekend, turned on the water in the bathroom, then shut the water off, the pump stayed on, I waited a minute or so, and it didn't shut down, so I shut it off on the panel, waited a few minutes, turned the main panel switch back on, pump immediately came on. went to the faucet in the bathroom, turned it on, water came out as it is supposed to, turned the water off, the pump stayed on...................anyone have this issue, is the pump all done?
Gregg M. Berkley 25 Ton Master USCG
2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck
Fairhaven, MA
spover
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: North Shore of Massachusetts

Re: water pump won't shut down

Post by spover »

Could be one of a few possible issues.
-Pressure switch on the water pump could be faulty
-There could be air in the system elsewhere. Make sure that you run all of the fixtures to remove any air in the system, both hot and cold.
-There could be a leak somewhere that is not allowing the system to build pressure.
2006 35 Command Bridge (Current)
1985 27 Sport Cruiser (Sold)
Ed422
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dundalk, MD

Post by Ed422 »

Other than what's been mentioned already, check the inline filter (I have had a clogged filter cause problems). Also check that there is plenty of water in the tank and the dip tube is not defective.
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

thanks for the advise, I'm going to the boat this afternoon, make sure the tank is filled, and will run all of the water spigots, including the hot, (which I haven't done this year), and I'll check the filter, along with another look in the bilge to ensure there's no leak. I'll provide an update tomorrow, per chance if it is the pressure switch, does that mean I buy a new pump.......?
Fairhaven, MA
Ed422
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ed422 »

gmberkley wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:25 pm thanks for the advise, I'm going to the boat this afternoon, make sure the tank is filled, and will run all of the water spigots, including the hot, (which I haven't done this year), and I'll check the filter, along with another look in the bilge to ensure there's no leak. I'll provide an update tomorrow, per chance if it is the pressure switch, does that mean I buy a new pump.......?
Jabsco and ShurFlo sell rebuild kits.

Depending on how old it is and how accessible it is, it might be worth putting in a new one.

Ed
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

UPDATE.............the filter was very clean, not surprised as I keep an eye on it, I put the water pump switch on, the pump started and didn't shut down, I ran water from both the bathroom and kitchen, and hot and cold, lot of air in the lines, took about 15 minutes, and then the water stream was steady from all faucets, shut them down, and low and behold, THE PUMP SHUT OFF, put the faucets on a few more times, pump started as it should, shut the faucets down, the pump shut off. another one of the many lessons learned, and thanks to all of you and the help, I would never have thought air in the lines would cause that problem. I did check the bilge prior to doing anything, dry as a bone, so I figured it was air in the lines or a problem with the sensor. Thanks again. I wish all the problems on the boat were solved that easily and no cost.
Fairhaven, MA
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Great news! Gotta love AOG.
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

totally agree, great people,
Fairhaven, MA
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

spend the weekend on the boat, water pump acted up again, won't shut off, I had hoped purging the air from the system solved the problem, now i need to determine if I can do a rebuild, or simply buy a new pump. anyone have any thoughts on the manufacturer of a good pump........
Fairhaven, MA
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Tank empty?
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

unfortunately no, filled right up, turn the pump on, it runs without any demand for water, run the hot water, in both the kitchen and bathroom as well as the cold, plenty of water comes out of the faucet..........shut down the faucet, pump keeps on running, the only way the pump shuts down is at the panel.
Fairhaven, MA
Ed422
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ed422 »

gmberkley wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:53 pm unfortunately no, filled right up, turn the pump on, it runs without any demand for water, run the hot water, in both the kitchen and bathroom as well as the cold, plenty of water comes out of the faucet..........shut down the faucet, pump keeps on running, the only way the pump shuts down is at the panel.
Did the tank stay full and did you check all the connections and long runs for leaks?
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

I had the same problem. With out going into all the details I replaced the pump and expansion tank with a Johnson pump that did not require an expansion tank. You must make sure all the o rings on the pump connections and the filters are new and tight. Good luck.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Irishwake raises a good point, Greg. Do you have an accumulator tank? I won't go into all the gory details unless you do. Too much typing!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

I'm embarrassed to say but I'll man up...............over the winter I disconnect the outgoing pipe from the tank to blow the water out of the system to winterize it. After speaking with Kevin Street, (my mentor, aka, Mr. Albin who should write a book!!), I did in fact open the water tank hatch to check the water level as I don't have a gauge, and the tank had water, but not much, so I filled it, while filling it I noticed a significant drip from the outgoing tank water line. I didn't connect it properly in the Spring, it was much too lose, I pushed it home, and low and behold, the pump is working perfectly. I think this is the first time I've had an issue with the boat, and it didn't cost me anything, except my pride, which I will gladly pay. Thanks to all who responded to my problem, I'm sure the next one I encounter won't be so easy, and will cost money
Fairhaven, MA

Return to “Albin Maintenance”