• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2014 Pacific Northwest Rendezvous - Roche Harbor Resort

Coordinators: Dave Kircher (dkicher) and Howard Wells (whwells)
http://www.rocheharbor.com/
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: 2014 Pacific Northwest Rendezvous - Roche Harbor Resort

Post by whwells »

DesertAlbin736: We are expecting Pat & Sharon Moynihan to be there with their Classic 25. Have not yet seen their sign up but they have not missed in the past.
whwells "Howard"
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Post by dkircher »

Greetings again Pacific Northwest Albin Owners,

Our 2014 rendezvous is fast approaching. At this point we appear to have 11 boats signed up. We have 15 cherished total slips at Roche Harbor. So, if you are interested, please email me at d2kircher(at)msn.com if you want to be added to the list.

I'll also email a number of you directly to determine your interest.

The key question at this point is your preference for dinner. Your co-coordinator Howard has done much work to identify a caterer for Saturday dinner.

The choices are either barbeque at $32 per person or seafood (clams, crab, shrimp) at $39 per person. The prices include vegetables and delivery. Everyone needs to provide their own beverages. We can only select one entre for the group, so please let us your choice and any concerns about the prices.

We have a great schedule of events for this rendezvous and look forward to seeing you in the San Juans in July. More details are on the way.

Best wishes,
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

Both sound good. Seafood would be our choice, but located very BBQ too.

Sitting in Point Hudson marina, site of last year's rendezvous. Here for the long weekend.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

joreyn: Thank you for the prompt response. My choice would be Seafood as well. Pat, my wife, BBQ but we can work it out. Bobby who runs the catering service will help if we have a few who just need to throw on a steak or whatever (member's to provide). We are just looking for a response from all so we can provide directions to the catering service on Seafood v BBQ meats.
The meal includes a lot so it is a per head charge regardless. Have asked if there are children if a discount or perhaps a shared plate will work to keep down the costs.
Regardless, if we were dinning out the price at Roche would be greater.
Happy to hear you are out and enjoying Port Townsend. I missed May entirely for the first year due to rain the week planned.
Will be up in far NW starting week after next for a couple to Port Hardy and hopefully Desolation Sound. Hoping for good weather.
Howard
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

Seafood would be first choice...BBQ chicken would be ok but can't do beef or pork...that answer is for 2 people on our boat.

We leave for an extended trip (Spain/France/Morocco) on Thurs and will not be much help between now and July...but will be there for sure and looking forward to meeting and playing with everyone. If money is needed ahead of the arrival let me know if you can.
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Re: 2014 Pacific Northwest Rendezvous - Menu details

Post by dkircher »

NW Albin Owners,

Howard asked me to post the details on the proposed catered dinner. Here you go:

HALEY’S 2014 ROCHE HARBOR MARINA BBQ MENU
* All events served on the party barge or the pool lawn.
* Alcohol must be provided by event sponsors.
* All events are served buffet style with heavyweight fiber plates, plastic utensils and napkins.
* Prices do not include WA St. sales tax.

HALEYS FAMOUS CLAMBAKE $39.95
* Clams, Prawns, Crab Legs, Austin Blues Smoked Sausage, Red New Potatoes, and Corn on the Cob all poured out on the table together!!! Served with Caesar Salad and Fresh Bread.

BARBECUE MENU $31.95 per person
Entrees (choose two)
* Austin Blues smoked beef brisket with Haleys very own homemade BBQ sauce
* St. Louis cut pork ribs with Haleys very own homemade BBQ sauce
* Kal Bi marinated crosscut beef spareribs
* Citrus marinated boneless chicken breast with sweet chili glaze

Sides (choose three)
* Haleys traditional style coleslaw
* New red potato salad
* Classic Caesar Salad
* Corn on the cob
* Haleys very own Baked Beans
All dinners served with rolls and butter
Bobby Tangney

All we need are beverages and desserts!
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

In that case I would go for the BBQ...because $16 is 4 gal of fuel ( at least on the road) ... but if the majority want seafood I will be happy too. Final answer. :)
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I would say ditto to what Coolchange said, although if those crab legs are Alaskan King crab then the seafood might be a better value. On the other hand, we hope to do some crabbing while up there and even with the BBQ, the meal plus 2 nights in a slip adds up to a $154 weekend. But what the heck, we're already set to spend $1,200 just in truck fuel to trailer the 3,200 mile round trip up there and back, so what's a few more bucks in exchange for a chance to meet new people and have a great time? We can always anchor out as often as possible for the rest of the trip. Except for Rosario, which is a must so we can use their pool and jacuzzi. You only live once!

Then again what Howard says about opting out of the catered meal & be able to BYOM and throw a steak or something on the grill might be appealing to those of us on a budget.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

DesertAlbin736: Their can be no opting out! What I meant to say is even if you choose to bring your own steak, we must still pay for the meal. Reason is there will not be enough people to make it work out for the catering people.

We are counting on having enough boats that the catering folks will have 20-25 people. Otherwise they are coming from Friday Harbor to set up, cook and clean at a loss. This is their busy season & a Sat. night so it special to even get them.

Sorry about my self caused confusion. Either way it won't be cheap - but going to the fancy rest. would be way more costly and there would be a problem with reservations.

We are trying to get a break on costs for small children. Bryan is bringing 4 and that would be a big bite. Have suggested to the catering people they give us a children break on costs or allow two children to share a meal.

It needs to be fun and affordable for all.

Howard
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Post by sharffj »

Howard,
nancy and I would vote for the Clambake. just got back from Italy on Thursday, Halibut fished on friday, and now catching up. Will go to Anacortes on Monday/Tuesday to check out boat and make arrangements for new thru hull transducer. Still looking at June 7th or 8th for leaving for 2+ weeks up to Desolation and beyond.
Jeff S
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We're the out of town newbies here, so we're good with either choice. I grew up on the Jersey Shore, so I'm all for a clambake. Assume the meal is payable in cash only, or are they set up to take credit cards?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gmschuler
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Edmonds

Post by Gmschuler »

The clambake sounds good to Stephanie and me. We can't get enough seafood it would seem.
If I am reading the Washington State regs correctly the crabbing in the San Juan's does not open until July 17th. So catching and eating crab at the dock is not going to happen for this weekend. I am going to bring my shrimp pots because spot shrimping is open (subject to change without notice).

Stephanie thought the easiest way to get to and from the Lavender Farm would be to schedule around the existing bus system. She will have a cost estimate for you next week.
Greg & Stephanie Schuler
2002 31 TE
Blue Heron
Port of Edmonds
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Anyone in the San Juans ever try crabbing without a crab pot? I grew up in Southern New Jersey on Barnegat Bay, and we always used to catch blue crabs with nothing more than a scoop net and bait, usually a hunk of trash bait fish, tied to a hand line. The trick was to lower the bait down in the water, usually while sitting at a dock or out on a boat, wait for the crabs to nibble, then slowly raise the line until within reach of the long handled net but not so close to the surface as to scare them off. The crabs usually kept on eating the bait, oblivious to the fact that they were being drawn closer and closer to the net and their ultimate fate.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

ALL ROCHE HARBOR ATTENDEES: We have an excellent catering service available. It is very difficult to make such arrangements during the prime summer months. The Halsey people usually cater to groups of 100 plus. They had an open date and agreed to do our program. However, we have to commit to a minimum of 25 people. It does not look like that will be a problem.

PLEASE POST THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE IN YOUR BOAT ASP POSSIBLE. If we have a dozen boats with at least two dinners we will be fine. I have to commit to 25 on behalf of the group.

Please give Dave and I a quick response to the number of dinners for your boat.

Thank you,
Howard
Gmschuler
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Edmonds

Post by Gmschuler »

Greg and Stephanie with a two count.
Greg & Stephanie Schuler
2002 31 TE
Blue Heron