• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Steering Fluid

rangoons
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steering Fluid

Post by rangoons »

Hi,
My steering is getting a little stiff. Can someone please tell me what type of fluid do you use and if it goes into the small screwcap on the steering column? Also I have pumped out the holding tank but I still get a foul odor when I flush the head. Any suggestions.
Thank You ahead of time.
Rangoons
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I do not know what steering unit you have but I have a SeaStar steering unit made by Teleflex. They recommend Teleflex fluid #HA5430 or Texaco HO15 or Shell Aero 4 or Mobil Aero HFA or hydraulic fluids that meet MIL-H5606C specifications. I can't really help with the odor problem, I have tried several products and checked the vent but it is still unpleasant for me also. I just think it is what it is. :wink:
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I still get a foul odor when I flush the head.
Manual vacuflush? Is it pulling sea water in? That's the odor. There have been other posts here about that. From what I understand you can plumb the toilet to your fresh water tank. Could be a problem on a long trip though.
I'm used to it now. I just tell friends to hold their nose for 20 seconds and it's all over.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

head odors

Post by Pitou »

Sitting at the helm or in the cockpit ...... and someone in the head flushes ....... NASTY!!!

The head vent is right outside the helm seat sliding window and whenever anyone flushes the incoming waste to the tank displaces air through the vent and out. After putting up with that the 1st season I added an odor filter in the vent hose between the holding tank and exterior vent. This equaled fresh air!!! They say it should be replaced annually, but I have found every other is just fine.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=148183
Last edited by Pitou on Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Dave39
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pilots Point North Yard Westbrook, CT

Post by Dave39 »

You need to look into the steering resevoir to see if the level is below what you can see. If it is, you will need to bleed your system otherwise you will have air bubbles and spongy steering. Teleflex sells a hose with both a steering fluid bottle cap at one end and a male end which screws into the pump fill cap. With someone's help (unless you can somehow affix the fluid bottle above the helm), you turn the bottle upside down with the hose cap into the pump fill, stick the pin provided into the now top of the bottle and remove it. You've created a vent. You now, and it may seem like a long time, simply slowly turn the helm from lock to lock for as long as it takes to get the air bubbles out of the hose, never letting the fluid level in the bottle empty. Of course if you can see the fluid in the pump inlet forget all the bove. As for the holding tank I installed a filter from West Marine made for that purpose in the vent line. No more embarrased wife. About $80.00 I believe. You can surely do better at a RV supplier if one is available.
Dave Sieben (Dave39)
Hideaweigh
1998 31TE Cummins 450
203-640-6127
203-843-2578
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

If your steering is stiff it may be something different than steering fluid. But if you need to flush and bleed the system you can buy the brass fitting and some tubing at the hardware store much cheaper than the kit sold by Teleflex. I used a small funnel as the reservoir and a hose clamp on the tubing. If your compass is on top of the instrument panel you can tie a line around it and the funnel to hold it up.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
rangoons
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rangoons »

Thanks for the info. If i unscrew the cap on the top of the steering column I can not see any fluid. I'll check one more time with a flash light.
Where is the vent for the holding tank. (I know, I sound like such a girl) NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH GIRLS:)
Rangoons
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

odor filter

Post by Pitou »

rangoons wrote:Where is the vent for the holding tank.
The vent is outside below the window of the helm seat / can't recall above or below the rubrail ..... pew!
Like Capt Dave, I put a Sanigard odor filter in the vent line leading from the holding tank to the vent. Every time you flush air is displaced from the tank and sent out the vent. If your at the helm ..... forget it! Those in the cockpit may be disturbed as well. I got mine at defender (link below) and found replacing every other year is sufficient for continued fresh air. :lol:

Sorry .. I had to drop the link for the post to come through. (Thanks for the tip John).
go to defender.com ... search odor filter ... I used the sanigard 5/8" hose.

Sorry for the ghost posts .... the link must have been interfering somehow. :?
Last edited by Pitou on Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
rangoons
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rangoons »

Pitou
I can read your reply
Rangoons
rangoons
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rangoons »

Pitou, sorry I meant I can't read your reply's.
Rangoons
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

I have posted more detailed info for the holding tank vent filter on a new thread splitting the Power Steering Fluid and head odor discussion. It may make things easier for someone's future search in the forum.
[/url]viewtopic.php?p=11605#11605[url]
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”