• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fluking outside Moriches

Moderator: RobS

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Fluking outside Moriches

Post by RobS »

With Saturday’s iffy forecast we decided on a one day’er for Sunday as opposed to our usual weekend overnights aboard TOY-RIFIC. So Saturday night I said to the girls “fishing” or “the beach” and fishing it was.

With the north west breeze the ocean was perfect as inshore was protected and the direction allowed for longs drifts from 40ft to 65-70ft. Non-stop action all day with 20-25 fluke ranging from 17-20 inches, one was even 20.25” just shy of the 20.5" min size limit. We fished for 3 hours on 3 drifts and then ran in tight enough to the beach to be out of the way of fellow drifters and then dropped hook for a BBQ lunch.

Back out for the last 2 drifts. 8yr old Grace has the rod in hand, thankfully 2 hands as I always preach, and 6 yr old Elle is by her side. Erika’s relaxing on the engine box, one eye shut enjoying the perfect weather. I have both hands busy with a skate that swallowed my rig. Suddenly Grace’s rod slams down onto the gunnel, tip bent down and the two of them start yelling in stereo. Grace is holding on playing tug-of-war. I just said “hold on don’t reel it, just hold it! two hands! Don’t let go!” Erika jumped up and helped and luckily the tip started bouncing so we knew it was a good fluke. Turned out to be 25” , 5lb 2oz. Much more exciting when the little one gets to hook the fish as opposed to handing the rod over.

All in all, the fluking in Moriches has been good, plenty of fish, especially in the 19 inch range and usually a few keepers for the day.

Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

What great fun. There is nothing like fishing with kids, especially if they catch a big one like this.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Russell wrote:What great fun. There is nothing like fishing with kids, especially if they catch a big one like this.
So true. They talked about it all night last night. It's these things they remember.....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

gigi
Deckhand
Deckhand

Big Fluke

Post by gigi »

Hi Rob and Erika. Nice fish your girls caught for you for dinner! I thought I had a big one yesterday at 5#, 24 inches...you guys beat my best! It WAS a great day on the water yesterday. Looking forward to seeing you next month. We'll be in touch as it gets closer. Congratulations to Grace and Elle.
Karen
Time after Time
Wickford, RI
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Nice fish Captain!
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Thanks Karen and Brian.

Karen, Yes it was a "10" on the water yesterday. Good to hear from you again and do keep it touch as you plan your Sept. run. We'll be spending 8 days on TOY-RIFIC starting this Sunday. Destinations are Essex CT, Mystic CT and then Shelter Island, NY.

And good news, diesel has come down a bit. The truck who fuels us is at $4.77 a gallon.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

The family that fishes together catches together..... 7 keepers and plenty of shorts to 20" made for steady action all day. The north wind made for nice drifts from 50ft out to 80ft west of Moriches Inlet. Gonna mix it up tomorrow between fluking and hit a wreck or two for some sea bass - Tomorrow is closing day for fluking so figuring on picking sea bass off some wrecks before fluke is closed and everybody has to turn to the wrecks.

Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Fishing”