• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 36 Forward Hatch

Vic T
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Albin 36 Forward Hatch

Post by Vic T »

I have to replace the glass in the forward hatch cover in our 86 Albin 36. It is (or was...) currently two pieces of laminated glass. One is 3/8s and the other is 1/4 to make a full 1/2 inch thickness. Has anyone aleady replaced the glass and what did you use as the "glass?" I am having trouble finding a replacement for the 1/2 inch thickness. Thanks.

Vic
Vic T
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Albin 36 Forward Hatch

Post by Vic T »

I have found out that the glass is actuall slightly thicker than 1/2...this was 5/8's which made it harder to find a suitable replacement. I now have two pieces of glass that are joined with an adhesive on the entire edge and will be bedded into adhesive caulking when put back into the hatch frame. It will look fine but I am concerned whether this will have some condensation as the glass heats and cools. Time will tell later this year. I am also going to use a protective coating to provide a satey barrier on the inerior and exterior of the glass in case it should ever crack and also hope that by filtering the direct sun it will help limit any condensation potential. The original glass was embedded into a rubber gasket/edge that was an adhesive and sealer. It is hard to remove unless it is broken so I would not suggest this if not required.

I will update this note if it does not go as planned...
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Vic,
Are you using tempered glass or some type of plastic? I'm assuming you have contacted the different hatch companies.

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse. ... QgodKSRm4g
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I replaced the aft hatch on my 40 with a piece of 1/2 inch lightly smoked acrylic. I mail ordered it after an extensive internet search as it is very pricey. I think I paid something like $70 for a 23 x 23 piece.
The rest of the windows on the boat are "standard" auto safety glass which is 2 pieces laminated together
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Vic T
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic T »

I am using tempered glass rather than acrylic. I had acylic on our sailboat and it was okay but not as clear as the glass. If the galss gets condensation, I will use acrylic. The hatch companies were "slightly" expensive and that is why I went with a local glass dealer. I was surprised that it was the better option.

Return to “36/37/40/43”