• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Member "solstice" considering 35 CB vs TE

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
solstice
Swabby
Swabby

New Member "solstice" considering 35 CB vs TE

Post by solstice »

HI folks,
New member here from Santa Barbara, California who is an Albin fan from 10 years back. I owned a 1997 28TE that I really loved but outgrew. I am currently in a Osprey 30 which is a great boat but does not ride as well as my old Albin TE. The 28 had a fine entry that really smoothed out a head sea and the single engine was just so much easier to maintain than twins. Anyway I am looking to get into a 35 foot boat to gain access to a double cabin and that means a 35 TE or the 35 CB. Would love to hear back from you guys that have experience with either one or both of these models so I can make an informed decision about purchasing a boat. I am specifically interested to learn the differences in how the boats ride, their fuel economy and the how the raised bridge of the CB compares to piloting from inside the TE.
Are there many Albin owners in Southern and Central California? Drop me a line if you are an owner of a 30'+ Albin and either love or have issues with your boat. I would like to hear all feedback.
Keep on boating...
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: New Member "solstice" considering 35 CB vs TE

Post by jcollins »

Solstice,
Welcome to AOG. I don't own either. I have the 28 TE. But, when I saw the 35 CB at the Annapolis show I realized it was my dream boat.
Good luck in your search.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Hi Solstice,

All I can say is I love my 31 TE. Just take a look at one to see.. Love the completly enclosed upper cabin and still plenty of fish & sun room too :lol:
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

I saw one of the early 35CBs while under construction. Keep in mind that it is a 32+2CB with a stretched cockpit.

As an owner of a 32CB I would take the cabin layout over the 31TE which will have the helm in the cabin. The raised bridge of the 32/35 is very nice especially in an area of majority fair weather boating.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Post by powerboater56 »

I looked at both models and decided on the 35CB. I haven't had much experience with it yet -- I bought it in January and plan to bring it back from Michigan to Rhode Island in June via Erie Canal and Hudson River.

My preference for the 35CB is based on the helm -- I like the better visibility of the 35CB helm, since it is a little higher up then the helm on the 35TE, unless you have a flybridge 35TE. I also like the ability to open up the bridge on the 35CB by unzipping the vinyl panels to let in fresh air. Finally I like the fact that the engine on the 35CB is not under the helm transmitting noise and vibration -- it is under the cockpit and aft of the bridge. When you access the engine area on the 35CB you do not have to make a mess in the salon area or disrupt life in the cabin.

I find the 35CB is well-designed for single-handed operation -- the helm is just a few easily-traversed steps from the side decks and cockpit so docking single-handed should not be too difficult.

The advantages of the 35TE are mainly in the accommodations -- the main cabin is much sunnier with big windows and has better visibility than the cabin in the 35CB. Also, with the sole of the main cabin raised up higher there is more room in the 35TE for engine and mechanical equipment, so I suspect access for maintenance might be easier, but I haven't looked at a 35TE firsthand to verify this.

I'm not sure about differences in the ride. Both hulls were designed by Terry Compton so I would assume they are fairly similar in terms of fineness of the bow, degree of V and other factors that influence how a boat rides. One old boat test of the 35TE I have thought the boat was a little bow-heavy, but I have no idea if that is a valid criticism of all 35TE's. The early 32's rode bow-high but the added 2' hull extension of the 32+2 supposedly addressed that problem. One owner of a 32+2 I am aware of liked the boat so much he bought two of them and took them from the far outer islands of the Bahamas up the coast to New England more than once, so that would indicate he was pleased with the ride and performance.

Good luck with your choice!
J. Schieffelin
Jamestown, RI
Albin 35CB "OTTER"
solstice
Swabby
Swabby

Post by solstice »

Otter...thanks for the reply. I can appreciate your points and agree with all of them. I am anxious to check back with you in a month or 2 when you have had a few trips under your belt and can comment on your own boat with more confidence.
I did not catch the year of your boat....do you have a true 35 or a 32 +2? I am learning that the true 35 's have some beneficial improvements as far as engine access and size of the cockpit.
I guess I am sold on the CB 35 with one reservation: that is a concern that the visibility below will be too limited so that there is a claustrophobic feel while underway. I am imagining when the weather is rough my family will most likely be down below and if they cannot see out well then that will promote sea sickness as would be common in a sailboat cabin...... let me know you thoughts on this after you spend a little time below.
Congratulations on the boat...would love to some pics or are they already posted?

Solstice
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Post by powerboater56 »

Solstice,
I have a 2005 35CB -- it has the newer cockpit design with improved engine access and more cockpit stowage in the transom. I much prefer it to the 32+2 -- the access ladder to the bridge is improved also.

You are right that the 35CB is not as sunny in the cabin as the 35TE, but my feeling is that your family won't be sitting in the cabin when underway much in either boat. Engine noise in the 35TE main cabin will likely drive people to the fly bridge.

The bridge area in the 35CB is sunny and protected from wind and rain by the bimini and vinyl panels. Your family will almost certainly congregate there underway.

If you have a big family the 35CB may not work for you -- the bridge area is pretty compact -- fine for three people, OK for four for an hour or so, but four people would be a tad crowded for a long trip. Especially if they are like my family -- all four males in the family are over 6' and not dainty.

Shoot me an e-mail in a month or so and I'll let you know my thoughts after cruising on a 35CB for three weeks.

J. Schieffelin
Jamestown, RI
Albin 35CB "OTTER"
solstice
Swabby
Swabby

Post by solstice »

Good point Otter,
I have 3 little girls so there should be enough room for all.
Do you have a flowscan? I am curious to see what kind of mileage you get. By others reports, you should get 1.8-2 MPG at cruise of 16-18 knots. I would also like to know if your boat rides very bow high at cruise and how much trim tab you need to use.
I'll check in with you in a few weeks...go ahead and email me directly at: gwtarleton@me.com.

Solstice
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Here ya go. Bow up or bow down. Y'all be the judge. This is one of the last 32s built, early 1996, before the extended hull 32+2. It also has the 315hp Cummins. Later boats were more likely to have the 370hp. It cannot get up & go without the trim tabs.

1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
henry robertson
First Mate
First Mate

Post by henry robertson »

i have a 31 te with 425 Cummins single excellent ride in heavy chop-18 to 20 mph cruise at 2200 depending on current--waves-- top at 24.7
on a rescue last saturday ran at 2200 six hours in 7 foot seas 8 sec interval wind 15 mph avg speed was 17.5 then 8 mph for 4 hours consumption 13.7 gph total lots of spray but no pounding or unpredictable boat motion. a 36 sea ray turned back. great weekend boat and perfect fishing machine---wish cruise was 25 but we all wish for more
glad to have you aboard
henry
albin 31

Return to “New Member Introductions”