• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Refinishing Exterior Teak Deck

Vic T
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Refinishing Exterior Teak Deck

Post by Vic T »

I have a 1987 Albin 36 trawler with the teak deck. When I purchased the boat last year, the teak deck had been finished many years previously but not sure what it was. It is now mostly gray and I would like to refinish it. I have seen on 40 trawler that had the deck finished and it looked very nice.

Has anyone done this and what were the results? I would like to do it before I launch again in the spring and have it covered so it can dry.

Thanks for any help so I head in the right direction and use the right product and prep.

Vic
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Refinishing Exterior Teak Deck

Post by jleonard »

I use Cetol on everything EXCEPT the deck. We prefer natural because it stays cool and not slippery. So think about those characteristics if you haven't considered them.
A little bleach in the water keeps the mold away, and salt water treatments keep it weathered and sealed.
By the way, the deck inside the enclosure has Cetol on it from the previoous owner...I like it but it's really slippery when it gets wet.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I agree, teak decks should be left natural. But that doesn't mean that you can't use some cleaner on them every once in a while. And I would spray it down afterward with saltwater if possible. Best way to keep it preserved.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

The first mate and I re-caulked the teak deck on the exposed portion of the flybridge last week while on "vacation".
The good news was that it only took 2 days. I was estimating 3 days. We re-did a total of about 400 linear feet.
More good news...I used only about 1/2 the amount of caulk that the manufacturer estimated. So I have plenty left over to get a good start on the side and aft decks :(
The best news...I found no evidence of past leaks so we caught it in time!! :D
The old caulk came out easily using a Boatlife hot knife. Then some quick scraping of the corner of the grooves with a home made bent screwdriver tool ground to the proper width (patent pending :lol: ).
Masking off the grooves was the tedious part, and pulling the tape off was the messy and critical part. My first mate did most of that :D
I was "the caulk meister" 8)
It was all hard work and we were dead after the very long second day. Thank goodness the first mate bought "us" a pair of knee pads that I knid of got possessive about. :wink:
I have a little more sanding to do to touch up my screw ups :oops: but nothing major.
It was far less work that I was expecting after reading tons of info on the internet. Now I can't wait to get the rest done. (ok I'm lying now).
Someday I'll make up a ppt presentation with pictures. Anyone interested in that please let me know and I'll get you a copy when I finish (during the winter sometime).
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
BobR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BobR »

Hi I would very much appreciate a PPT of this project. This will be a project for my 1988 36'.
rfr0355@aol.com
Thanks Much!
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Someday I'll make up a ppt presentation with pictures. Anyone interested in that please let me know and I'll get you a copy when I finish (during the winter sometime).
Jay,
That would be a nice addition to the library.

Keep me in mind,
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

That would be a nice addition to the library.
OK
IMG_0421small.jpg
Sanding lightly will clean up the "goobers" from pulling the tape.

Notice ship's helo is now happier
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Is that a gold penn that you had blued next to the net? :mrgreen:
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

That is my tuna rod. With the special magnet I rig I can pull up even the large cans :lol:
Maybe next year Tyler will be big enough for a full size rod. Right now he spends more time waving it around than anything.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “36/37/40/43”