• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1981 43' albin trawler

jakevr
Gold Member
Gold Member

1981 43' albin trawler

Post by jakevr »

Im looking at a 1981 albin trawler, it has some problems such as leaky decks, windows and has been neglected for the past 10 years or so and has had nothing done with it in 2 years as the owner has passed away. ive always heard that fuel tanks on these boats usally need replacement but thats just been hear say. if anyone can tell me commen things that go wrong with these boats and what to look for i would really appreciate it. if i purchase this boat i will live on it here in upstate ny year round.

thank you in advance.

jake
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 1981 43' albin trawler

Post by zinbaad »

I would think it would be well worth having the trawler Surveyed by a professional so you know exactly what you are getting into. Good luck :D
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I think you pretty much covered it. Other than the usual thing of engine survey, gen survey, and other "standard" boat equipment, these are notorious for leaky decks, windows, and rusted black iron fuel tanks.
Fuel tanks are discussed in the thread below about the 36. Same tanks, same issues, probably same capacity.
I have redone several windows in mine. They are a pia but it's all a matter of patience. Old glass is brittle, don't ask how I know. So far I only broke 2 of 9 while working on them...I am happy with that batting average. :D
While my decks are sound, the caulk is starting to seperate and I am actually going to start re-caulking them this weekend and next week while on "vacation". I have a "plan", and I'll be able to talk more about it after next week. :wink:
After 2 years the fuel is probably really bad and in need of filtering. My advice is to lose the 2 micron Racor elements and go with either 10 or 30 micron.
In case you don't know, American Diesel Corp in Virginia stocks all the parts for the Ford Lehman engines, and they offer excellent advice. Call them and talk. You can find them via a google search.
If you have specific questions fire away, but I will be offline for a week...while working on decks remember??? :roll:

EDIT: I bought mine from the widow also....after 1 1/2 years.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
dauntless
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dauntless »

My 1984, 43' sun deck , DAUNTLESS has been home for several years here in Boston. These are great old boats with great living space but they all need work. My current project is replacing those nasty fuel tanks - Going to have to pull the engines to get them out (and in). Having slightly smaller custom Alum tanks made to give more space in engine room. Decks are still good and windows are ok to. A good survey will be worth every dime. Good luck.
jakevr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jakevr »

i own the boat!
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

i own the boat!
Woohoo!! :D
Congrats!!
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Congratulations! Now we have a Albin clubhouse in upstate NY.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jakevr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jakevr »

is there other albin 43s around upstate ny?
jakevr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jakevr »

im offically a "liveaboard"

last night was night number one.. the koverklamp frame is going up next week.

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

When's the "boatwarming party"?
I assume we're all invited?
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jakevr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jakevr »

jleonard, i met the old owners of your boat. it was kept at the same marina as i am at. voyager
jakevr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jakevr »

winter cover is on... start on ripping up the teak decks this month!

Return to “36/37/40/43”