• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Wall paneling

jakevr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wall paneling

Post by jakevr »

I need to replace a few rotten wall panels due
to either window leaks or deck leaks.

First I thought painting some of the paneling
white would open and brighten the boat up but then today
I saw a 36 that they did that on yachtworld.com and I think it looked terriable.

So please any ideas you have or pictures
of what you have done would be great. Thanks
jmatlaga
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wall paneling

Post by jmatlaga »

Hi, I replaced alot of plywood around the window areas on my 36.The plan is to finish off with a mahogony veneer.I,ve used 3m's veneer with adhesive backing with some good results.Replacing the outside window trim im using chromoveil.Its a fiberglass veil with a wood print.I may use some for the interior as well.
jakevr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jakevr »

That sounds nice would you be able to post some pictures??

Thanks!
jmatlaga
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jmatlaga »

I wish I could. I didn't get to that stage yet.Should be able to chromoveil outside trim next week(off the boat).Its gotten too cold to do anything to the bulkheads.Alas winter is upon me.
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

I replaced the areas behind the bunks in the aft cabin with Luan plywood, then Formica (I used grey). It turned out very well. Next to replace the upper sections, around the windows. If I can find teak plywood with the grain running in the right direction I might use that, if not, maybe I'll go for the formica, which seems to be a very good solution.

30 year old boats need a lot of work.

Thanks
jakevr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jakevr »

Would you be able to post photos??
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

If you mean me, he's some. One shows the Vinyl windows I had made by Mark Plastics in Corona. Not the prettiest, but they open, are of good quality, and don't leak. I have yet to replace the inside paneling. Not sure if I'm using formica or teak faced plywood.
PC200003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

We also have water damage to the paneling and I think we found and repaired all the points of water intrusion. So while we have all the windows out during replacement, we will also replace the areas around our windows in the salon with a beige formica. The heads will have the original white repaired and replaced as needed. and in the aft cabin we will just repair the teak veneer as needed.
Friends of ours have a A40 and were quite in favor of the formica in-lieu of the teak, just in case we didn't find all the water in lets. They also say that it lightens up the cabin a little.

Return to “36/37/40/43”