• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Time after Time Meets "Le Grande Frommage"

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Time after Time Meets "Le Grande Frommage"

Post by RicM »

Yes, our summer cruise coincided with the "Big Cheese" visiting Martha's Vinyard, but more of that later. We started the trip with the bow pointed to Block Island for 8 days of cruising, boozing, and bruising the fish population of the coast of New England. Saturday August 14 we headed South out of Wickford for The SW ledge of BI. Immediately on arrival I put an eel on Miss K's hook and turn my back on her to get myself setup and BANG! Off she goes. Nice fish me thinks, here we go, we're dialed in in the first 5 minutes, HA!
Nice Fish

I proceed to catch bluefish after bluefish. Miss K gets a green eyed devil and snaps her St Croix rod 3 guides down. Now I'm thinking I have a chance. Nope. More bluefish. 10 eels later it's time to go meet dockmates, Dave & Joanne, in Great Salt Pond.
Block Island
Where's Waldo? Can you spot TaT & Betsy B sharing a mooring off Payne's Dock?

2 Delightful days and nights of eating, drinking, and sunsets occur in the blink of an eye. Laughing, dingy rides, striped bass on skewers with mango, bacon, and scallions. Wow. Fearing that if this becomes boring the only alternative will be suicide by mohito, it's time to move on. We leave "The Block" and head NE to Catumet MA, the beginning of the Cape Cod Canal and spend a night at the Chart Room with my Cousin Ron. It's Miss K's birthday so after the best lobster roll in the universe, MUDSLIDES! Mayhem ensues. My Samoan attorney advises we plead nolo. We decide to leave town instead.

Traversing the Cape Cod Canal

Next day we cross a placid Cape Cod Bay to meet up with Kevin & Joanie (Pitou) from Essex MA that we met at the second AOG Rendezvous in Boston at Sciuate MA. Scituate is a gorgeous harbor with a very good provisioning town attached. The problem was fog, like, 30 ft viz just as we got to the harbor entrance. Yikes! Came face to face with the breakwall from about 30ft. Reverse! Bow thrust, bow thrust! Apparently all medications are in proper dosages because no one gets hurt, physically or mentally.
Great time in Scituate. More bass skewers.

The Crew

Thursday we head south back through the canal and to MV in one shot, expecting to tie up in Menemsha and meet up with Dave & Ramie (yes Sawzall Dave). We are unaware of the visitation of Le Grande Frommage and the cheesits, as well as the fact that this is the weekend they light up the cottages in Oak Bluffs, the biggest weekend of the year in MV. Menemsha is booked solid. We move on to Vinyard Haven where the Tisbury Wharf Company subjects the desperate boater to a life sharing an oily dock with 200 seniors on weekend cruises to buy the stuff most of us laugh at in gift shops. Harsh, I know, but true. It is "wharfage" and ice at $4 bag, nothing more. Do we have fun? Yes of course! Does it cost money? Yes in hideous amounts, $100 taxi rides, $47 steaks but WTF.

The Ha-ba in Vinyard Haven

A Friday daytrip to Lake Tashmoo is the revelation that all cruisers go cruising for, a Shang-gra-la of scarily beautiful scenery arranged around still water, great holding, and and million dollar yachts coated with bikini models, all behind a beautiful sand beach and acres of clam flats.
Still water, good holding.

And there we spot the elusive Narwhale of Albindom, a creature seldom seen in the wild, a vision so unique that it could only occur in a fabled, mythical spot named "Tashmoo", a Compton 33! For those of you who have not heard tell of this unique creature, it what Terry Compton, the man who designed the Albin 28 TE did after the 28TE....

Compton 33, a 28TE all grown up ( and sissified)

What are we paying for back in Vinyard Haven? We pick up camp in Vinyard Haven and go on the hook for Saturday night for the most magical night I have yet spent on a boat. We spend our money instead on lobsters, and corn. Only one problem, I forget to fill the fresh water tank (been in a slip too long). Phone calls determine that Cousin Ron will be attending the evening's festivities in a borrowed Bertum 29 Flybridge, a lovely pocket yacht from the mid '80s. I convince him to top off the fresh water tank and deliver it to us along with 2 bottles of potato vodka (the original price of admission). Apparently the secret service determined that potato vodka was a security threat on MV.

Kids, listen to Sawzall Dave and never drink potato juice when using your Sawzall!

Well watered (and vodkaed), we are joined by Ron's daughter Lisa and husband Bruce in their brand new (to them) center console Pursuit (it's so cute to see youngsters in their new go-fast) for a 4 boat (illegal) raft up. Boil up them lobsters and corn on Bluesbreaker, spread newspaper on the engine box on Time after Time and we sit in a circle of frenzied crustaetious dismemberment. If Ralph Lauren showed up it could not have been a more classic Cape Cod post card.
Alas! We are not made to live among the gods forever! The weather appears to be turning to the wretched after so many fine days. Beat it home on Sunday with 3-5 footers following. The only casualties of the whole trip were the head door latch (second one in 2 years!) and the little do-da that lies flat on the hatch cover and lifts up to open the hatch (anybody know what thats' called?). Never saw the Prez or Michelle's arms, but plenty of choppers. Rumor has that Predator drones were on station over the island for the whole visit, circling 24/7. If they had the night vision on Lake Tashmoo, tell the CIA I'm sorry!
Last edited by RicM on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Time after Time Meets "Le Grande Frommage"

Post by jcollins »

Ric,
As usual. A delightful accounting of time spent on the water with friends, family, fish, and booze, in your Albin. I must admit that most of my commentary begins with "we went boating" and ends with "we had fun". In the future I will try to remember it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

You should consider a career writing copy for advertising. :D
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

I'm actually 1/4 of the way through a screen play that will do for boating what "Endless Summer" did for surfing. :roll:
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Great trip report ... "in living color" ... glad to have been part of your summer cruise. Bass-kabobs in Scituate ... yum, thanks guys.
Kevin & Joanie
022.JPG
021.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jwinder

Post by jwinder »

RicM,

Thanks to Kevin Street, I was treated to your wonderful post regarding the slaying of fish out toward Block Island and the Vineyard. I am envious of the cohesiveness of your collective owners group. I can say, being a lowly yacht surveyor and a member of OPB (Other Person's Boat Club), that you all have very nice boats, from a surveyor's perspective and a yachtsman's. I recently spent a day aboard PITOU with Kevin & Joanie Street, enjoying striper burritos a la Kevin. This allowed me to crawl around on a boat model I had only surveyed in the past. In the course of one day, I saw 3 other 28s in the Cape Ann area!

I was also able to see a new Albin 28 under construction recently on my last visit to C&C Fiberglass in Bristol, RI. There was a great sense of relief among the workers there with the diversity of boats under construction (for a change): Albin 28s, Hunt 25s, J111s, J95s, etc. What a breath of fresh air! I am inspecting a couple of the J111 sailboats for the dealer in Northern California as they make their way through construction.

Glad to share anything I can from previous surveys. It helps to see a number of a particular model.

All the best,

John Winder

http://www.marinesurveyor.com/winder

_/)..._/)..._/)..._/)... (oh, that's right, I need a symbol for smart powerboats, not sailboats :-))
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

My oh my Ric!

No one tells a story quite like you! Loved every bit of it and I'm now certain that an MV trip by Albin is in my near future! Thanks for sharing!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Lake Tashmoo is a must, even if you are somewhat timid about sleeping on the hook as I am. It is just idyllic! Sawzall Dave is still there, says the wind is close to gale force. Don't envy him today!
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

You titled the post TaT meets "La Grand Fromage" so I thought we were gonna get a story on how you threw on a sport coat and crashed his dinner party. Or ran over his dog's paw with your dock cart - that was too funny!

Well Head Cheese and the Cheeze-It's are still there getting all wind blown & soggy. Remember, you are the Big Cheese here at AOG !
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

No, Le Grande Frommage was no doubt looking down from the drone-cam wishing he could crash OUR party! See any sharks worth stickin' out there yet? Going to FL on business right after Labor Day and plan on fishing a day or two. Maybe Karen & I will drive (or boat) down after her national boards on 9/9.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

No sharking, fluking has been good and ends Sept 6th, so gotta get 'em while you can. Braved the crappy conditions for this nice one on Sunday, you remember this guy from SX viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3673

Hope to fluke both days this weekend...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Re the Compton 33. Yes indeed it is a very rare animal. I had the pleasure of looking one over at the Annapolis show, must have been 2002, 2003. I saw it again at Block Island 2005? I think. Nice boat. Built to a standard somewhat similar to a Sabre.

Does anyone know what happened to Terry Compton after that? The Compton 33 was a very inovative boat with dinghy storage under the cockpit sole.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

We all complain about the extra-wide frame (mullion) right in the line of site when sitting at the wheel in the TE. In the Compton they moved the operator towards center-line which appears to reduce that quite a bit. There's 2 on Yachtworld. Expensively finished for sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Cruising”