• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 27 work boat

Albin's "power cruisers"
kmx1968

Albin 27 work boat

Post by kmx1968 »

Hello
Has anyone on here ever used or seen an Albin 27 used as a work boat?
I have a 27 sport cabin I am rebuilding to use as a oyster dredger/sinknetter.The boat was sunk during a hurricane and sat for ten years,so it is not in the best of shape.I just got it off the railway and am getting ready to install a 4045 tfm John Deere 150 hp w/ a 1.5:1 velvet drive.
How well do these boats handle rough water,say a 3-4 foot chop?
I appreciate any information.
Thank you
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Re: Albin 27 work boat

Post by Panhdjoe »

You will be very happy with the way a 27 handles a 3-4 foot chop. Our family cruiser thake rough water well, it is a little "rollie" when we take wake our waves from abeam
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
tranmkp
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Houston, Texas

Post by tranmkp »

This is how the 27 handles the chop -

http://www.youtube.com/kidkodine#p/a/u/0/U5WLrja6lAU

Its fine you just have to slow down - and really try to avoid getting beam to for very long...
woodman

Post by woodman »

Hey if your plans to convert the 27 albin into a work boat don't work out I would be interested in buying that boat. I am looking for a fixer upper. Woody
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

I saw one in Bodega Bay, CA last year fitted out for salmon fishing. I actually felt sorry for the boat. She was worked hard & looked every second of it.

At the other end of the working 27 scale, I worked mine as a sightseeing boat for 6 years putting about 500 hours on the engine per year. At the end the boat got a complete overhaul, including engine haulout & painting. She looked at good as new when sold seven years later.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”