• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Southern NE / NY / Hudson Marinas post-Sandy

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

Captn_Dwt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pleasant Cove, Boothbay, ME

Southern NE / NY / Hudson Marinas post-Sandy

Post by Captn_Dwt »

Hi all.
Karen and I will be cruising from Maine to NYC to Lake Champlain beginning in June. I'm a bit concerned about the amount of damage from Sandy...that may make it difficult to find marina's along the route from the Cape Cod Canal to some miles north of NYC on the Hudson.
So, I'd like to hear how your local Marinas are doing at getting repaired and ready for this season, please.

Also, can anyone clear up the confusion I'm hearing about using the Harlem river to pass from the sound to the Hudson?
Some say it's a good way to go. Others say it's not passable! ?? We have no desire to pass through the heart of NY harbor.

Thanks in advance
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Southern NE / NY / Hudson Marinas post-Sandy

Post by jleonard »

We went thru the harlem last year in both directions. No issues at all, an easy run. We had to wait 45 minutes for the sputen dyvil bridge because they had mech problems, but that,s the luck of the draw.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

We didn't want to do the Harlem River just because you would miss all the scenery... Hell Gate, United Nations Building, Brooklyn Bridge, Manhatten, Miss Liberty. We were in heaven to be able to see all this from the East River..something that we probably would never do again.

As far as the Harlem River, it is a short cut...never traveled it....but was told that things do tend to fall (or thrown) off some of the bridges while cruising. The East River, for us, was a must do thing and was very happy we did it.

If you do the Harlem....try and make sure the train trestle that lets you in the Hudson is working properly before you commit yourself. A few days after we past by, it was inoperable for a couple of days...made for a few upset boaters!

How ever you go...have a great time!!!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

That is urban legend bout throwing things from the bridges....we have been thru the harlem 5 times and never saw anything like that.
For us, a7knot boat it is a huge shortcut..
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

<moved to cruising forum>
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

I believe it would a HUGE mistake to forgo NY harbor. The sights and sounds are unforgettable. Plan on staying at Liberty Landing Marina; the view of the NYC skyline at night is beautiful. My wife and I have made two trips to the Cape from Lake Champlain and the NYC harbor, while busy, was a highlight of the trip. Also, if you can work it out schedule wise, try to get a slip at the Mystic Maritime Museum - tough to get one, but if you do, I guarantee you will have an exceptional time there too.
carolmarie, 2001, 28TE, 6LP-STE.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

carolmarie wrote: Also, if you can work it out schedule wise, try to get a slip at the Mystic Maritime Museum - tough to get one, but if you do, I guarantee you will have an exceptional time there too.
Two thumbs up for a night or two at Mystic Seaport. We arrived there late one afternoon while on a cruise and spent two nights and had a very memorable visit at the museum. A nice stop over after some time in Buzzards Bay . Many other stops to make as well. Enjoy your cruise!

Capt DWT - Had a nice rivers cruise up your way in 2010. Absolutely beautiful! Here's a shot I took after passing through the Trevitt Bridge leading onto Barters Island. We came down the east side on our way to Boothbay after spending a night on the hook in the Oven Mouth.
Willoughby Gap 141.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Veering slightly off topic here -
Pitou wrote:Here's a shot I took after passing through the Trevitt Bridge leading onto Barters Island.
Kevin, I notice that you're towing your dinghy in the photo rather than using a davit system. Any particular reason you do it that way?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

carolmarie wrote:Also, if you can work it out schedule wise, try to get a slip at the Mystic Maritime Museum - tough to get one, but if you do, I guarantee you will have an exceptional time there too.
There is an anchorage area as well, just north of the museum docks.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Nancy wrote:Veering slightly off topic here -
Pitou wrote:Here's a shot I took after passing through the Trevitt Bridge leading onto Barters Island.
Kevin, I notice that you're towing your dinghy in the photo rather than using a davit system. Any particular reason you do it that way?
Nancy - Depending upon what we're up to the inflatable might be in tow or stowed upon the swim platform using Weaver Snap Davits. Click on the picture to enlarge it and you will see the yokes on the port side of the inflatable that snap into the Weaver Davits that are mounted on the platform. I put the quick kit stainless davit pads on the platform and insert the davits when we're mounting the raft. The inflatable goes up when we're making time and was down for most of this trip while cruising a series of rivers at trawler speed. For our needs, I do love the removable Weaver system. Weaver does have a standoff available that attaches to the inflatable & transom through the use of eye pads that would be a better choice than my lashings depicted below.
Trip 1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Thanks, Kevin. We used Weaver snap davits on our previous boat, and we kept the dinghy when we sold the boat. We never got around to mounting the davits on the Albin last year, and I missed having it. It's on the list for this spring. Good to see how you have it lashed as we will likely do the same. Lashing was a lot easier on the previous boat which had a rail around the cockpit.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Captn_Dwt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pleasant Cove, Boothbay, ME

Post by Captn_Dwt »

Wow...as usual, ask and one gets excellent information!
Mystic museum it will be...and... It appears we should do the NY Harbor at least once. That's great advice, and I appreciate your time in replies.

The other question remains unanswered...anyone know how the marina's are doing at getting repaired?

I know it gets said often, but I can't help but note "what a great group". :D
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hi Captn!

Thought I'd chime in here.

The marinas of Norwalk CT are for the most part fully operational. Norwalk Cove, where I keep Sonny IV, is completely up and running and has fuel, pu,p out, ships store, etc. it's also right at the mouth of Norwalk Harbor so you don't spend too much time off of the Sound if you're trying to make time.

As for NYC, I've done both the East River and the Harlem many times. I did a few long winded posts if I recall...

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3685&

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4171&p=24607

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5420&p=32105

If you have the time I'd agree that the trip around Manhattan, with a stop off of Liberty Island, is a great idea. One point, pay attention to the tides/currents. There is a significant current in both rivers that changes dramatically with the tide. Make sure you time it properly and you'll make good progress.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Cruising”