• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 engine box access port: Colors?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Riverjohn
Gold Member
Gold Member

A25 engine box access port: Colors?

Post by Riverjohn »

Ms. Bettencourt, A25 #1117, has a cast metal "manhole cover" like access port on top of her engine box. I am in the process of repainting and updating the center cabin area and would like to restore this little piece of metal to factory colors (all the paint is worn off now). Does anyone know how it should be painted? Thanks.
John in Augusta
A25 #1117 "Ms Bettencourt"
Tim Orr
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: none

Re: A25 engine box access port: Colors?

Post by Tim Orr »

John:
Is this a 6" hole over the water filler? My 1974 A25 has one with a light weight plastic hatch cover. I had assumed it was cut by a previous owner. Maybe it is original for checking the water level without removing the main engine cover?
I was going to fiberglass is shut as I beleive it is a major source of engine noise.

Sorry, I can't help on the color.
Is this access hole on all A25??

Tim
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

John,

I'm wondering if this was an owner installed cover.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Desertboater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eastern Washington State

Post by Desertboater »

The engine access cover on my boat & 3 others I've seen is painted light blue. The raised "Albin" and other raised areas are unpainted. Photo taken while working on fuel tank shows the access cover.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Desertboater
Albin 25 - 1971 originally with AD-21 engine
Repowered with Beta Marine 25hp
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

I stand corrected! :)

Nice little detail from Albin of Sweden.
Doug
Sonny IV
Riverjohn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Riverjohn »

Thanks all. I'll do the best I can to match the color at the paint store, then burnish the cover on the wire wheel before trying to replicate the color distribution shown on the photo. Will post photo of the results when it's done.
John in Augusta
A25 #1117 "Ms Bettencourt"
Bernie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint John Power Boat Club

Post by Bernie »

Hello All,

The little 6 inch cover on my A25 #824 is / never was painted. It is cast aluminum and the book says that "Cover -for easy oil check and filling lub oil - O ring . It may stop some noise if covered, but I re-powered with an electric motor and that took care of any noise I had. Now you haven't heard anything yet :idea:

Bernie
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Bernie wrote:but I re-powered with an electric motor and that took care of any noise I had. Now you haven't heard anything yet :idea:

Bernie
So, you have an electric Albin? I'd love to hear more about that! :shock: <- shocked face, get it? :lol:
Doug
Sonny IV
Bernie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint John Power Boat Club

You Haven't Heard Anything Yet

Post by Bernie »

Hay Doug,

This little project has been on my stove for 5-6 years now. I'll show a few kotha-chromes of the progress. :roll:

Bernie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Tim Orr
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: none

Post by Tim Orr »

Id love to learn details of what you did. Battery capacity, motor size, max speed, battery life.
Do you have a generator to recharge if necessary? or a back-up outboard to get you home?

Tim
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: You Haven't Heard Anything Yet

Post by DougSea »

Bernie wrote:Hay Doug,

This little project has been on my stove for 5-6 years now. I'll show a few kotha-chromes of the progress. :roll:

Bernie
Now you have me wanting some more details! Though I don't see myself headed that way for quite a while yet I still find it fascinating! :)

(I'd love to have a Chevy Volt. I think the idea of a pure electric car with gas backup is brilliant!) So, as Tim asks - do you have some sort of on-board charging system or other power?

And there's only one picture!! :(

FYI - I'll probably split this topic tomorrow - Electric Albins and painted engine access covers probably each deserve their own!
Doug
Sonny IV
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

Doug:

Would like to see an Electric Albin topic - perhaps in a forum other than the A25/A27. This, I believe, would catch the attention of more members.

Bernie:

I would recommend that you hold back answering any questions whose answers might be deduced from the picture for a couple of days. This would give members an opportunity to exercise their gray matter and come up with possible answers, based on the picture as a starting point. Your guidance (hints) along the way though would serve as an encouragement. Support system questions which are not within the realm of the picture could be answered as desired...

For starters (pun intended)...

The voltage of the system is 24 v. Conclusion derived from the picture showing 4 six volt batteries in series...

Amp H capacity? Needs researching...

Happy researching to all,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”