• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hydraulic Steering Cylinder Installation

Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Hydraulic Steering Cylinder Installation

Post by Despacio »

Leaving a mooring, the boat did not go in the direction it should have. I immediately took it out of gear but backed into a mooring ball.

The rudder seemed to be in a hard over position no matter where the wheel was. Yes, I checked the hydraulic fluid and a lot of other things that morning, but who looks to see if the nut has fallen off of the steering arm?

I quickly reattached the hydraulic cylinder to the steering arm and all is ok, except for where I hit the anchor chain with my rudder and prop. Bent the tips of all three blades a little bit, but it looks even and I think it's ok. Certainly could have been worse.

I never thought about that cylinder being held up by the nut, it has always been that way. Obviously the cylinder should be on the top of the steering arm so that if the nut falls off, the cylinder and it's bolt will still be attached by gravity.

Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Hydraulic Steering Cylinder Installation

Post by jleonard »

Yikes!
I think mine is on top but I will be checking it out to be sure.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “36/37/40/43”