• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Propshaft Replacement

elad

Propshaft Replacement

Post by elad »

Hi all,

After hitting something hard with the prop I get a rather severe vibration at even slow speeds. I think I bent the propshaft.

Has anyone replaced their propshaft themselves? I'm pretty handy but don't want to attempt something that requires expert knowledge or special tools.

My boat is an 2000 Albin 28TE.

Will appreciate any advice.

Dale
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Your propshaft can be straightened. Almost certainly cheaper than a new one (to find out how I know find "the voyage of the Akvelina" in the cruising section!)

It will involve removal of the rudder. If I remember correctly the bill for:

remove and reinstall rudder
remove and repair prop
remove and repair shaft

(and replace and install tranducer - ripped that sucker clean off!)

came to around $2500. I have NO idea what a new shaft costs but I guessing it's not cheap. And if you bent the shaft your prop MUST be messed up - see the various posts on "prop scan" repairs.

Good luck!!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Dale,
I was afraid of the same thing last year. Start with the prop. When the yard pulls it they will check the alignment. I was lucky. Just the prop. Once repaired I was fine.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
elad

Thank Goodness - Only the Prop

Post by elad »

Turns out it was only the prop that was bent. Got it off and having local repair shop fix it.

Thanks to all for advice.

Dale
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Thank Goodness - Only the Prop

Post by DougSea »

dalepurdy wrote:Turns out it was only the prop that was bent. Got it off and having local repair shop fix it.

Thanks to all for advice.

Dale
Well that's good news! Where are you going to spend the rest of the money you told your wife this was going to cost? 8)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”