• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Free falling anchor issues

mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Free falling anchor issues

Post by mhanna »

I just finished installing a windlass and have an issue with the anchor not releasing. I dont believe it has anything to do with the windlass, it has more to do with the way the bow pulpit is designed. There is just too much of the neck on the pulpit and when the tension is released it seems the anchors weight is on top of the pulpit and its not falling.
I had a danforth type and now tried a 14lb delta. The delta is a little better but it still needs a kick to get it going. I am thinking I may need a heavier one ? Im sure many have had this issue, anyone overcome it ?

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hi Matt,
I have seen other TE owners mention the same thing. I have to give mine a little push (usually it's Sharon doing the pushing) to get thngs started. I have the plow type anchor. I always thought it defeats the purpose of a windlass but it's better than doing it by hand like I did on my last boat.

Speaking of anchors, what do you use as a second anchor?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I hang a 22 lb. Delta fast-set anchor off a universal anchor roller. The anchor releases 9 out of 10 drops. Not bad. I have boat buddies who have to send someone bow side every time to give things a nudge. You can find different types of anchor rollers made for each type of anchor. This may give an advantage.

I also keep a 7 lb. Fortress Aluminum anchor stowed as a secondary and use this anchor when on the offshore fishing grounds. No time to wait for a windless retrieve when "fish on". I just throw the inflatable ball and go. Retrieve later.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mhanna »

I hear ya, a kick from the wife works, but after saying that I wanted the new freefall, well I just dont want to hear it everytime I ask her to go up there, do I have to make it work !

For my freefall issue, I may have to try the 22lb version, the 14 just looks too small.

I used to carry a small fortress as a second anchor to keep me from spinning in coves and such. But seeing as this is the first season for me with the 28TE I will have to see if its big enough....
2001 28TE - Doghouse
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

My Delta doesn't "self-launch" when I lower the windlass. I think it's a combination of a non-rolling roller and the angle the anchor sits in the pulpit.

The non-rolling I'll try and fix with some WD-40. Might help, might not.

As for the angle, I'm thinking of mounting some sort of cross piece perpendicular to the anchor rode. This would keep the shank of the anchor elevated just a bit and might help it drop when I release the windlass. Can't really describe it, I'll have to mock something up and take a picture. Maybe next weekend.

The other option would be to reconfigure the pulpit somehow so that the anchor flukes sit lower. On a lot of boats the anchor is stored under the pulpit with the rode coming up through it. Something else to think about.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mhanna »

I hear you with the cross piece.. see this link
http://ecatalog.westmarine.com/zoom.asp?page=228
The part AR4/5 standing upright might work, but I know there will be a loop needed or the chain rope may bounce off.
I played with it and if the anchor was to stay off another 3 inches it would have enough leverage to fall by itself..I will have to keep trying.

On my old boat I would bump into reverse/forward ect to make it fall. I wish to fix this now...
AND I just got a call, its going in this Friday !!! You know where I'll be.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

The pivoting bow roller shown on the same West Marine link is what will solve the problem but I do not know how easy that is to fit on our pulpit.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mhanna »

I saw that pivoting one in the store, it is almost 3 inches wide. The one on the Albin now is about an inch wide. I dont wish to make this a fiberglass thing :?

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
tomcat rio

well, that's good to know

Post by tomcat rio »

my windlass installation should be done next week
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Russell wrote:The pivoting bow roller shown on the same West Marine link is what will solve the problem but I do not know how easy that is to fit on our pulpit.
I've been thinking about this and I wonder how hard it would be to convert my current roller to a tipping style. Make a couple of brackets, drill through the sides of the roller and mount it on a pivot.

Going to have to give this some more thought...

I suspect that making sure the roller actually rolls will give me the most bang for my buck.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

We use Bruce anchors up here in the muddy Northwest, and they always require a kick to roll off the pulpit. Changing the roller is an option, but it's never really bothered me that much. I usually just go up there and slack the chain about a foot and push it over so it's halfway over the roller and ready to drop when I find the right spot.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”