• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Port Side Instruments

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Port Side Instruments

Post by RicM »

I am expanding my electronics package and, of course, running out of real estate on the helm (starboard) instrument panel area. I was thinking of moving some equipment (like the radio, second NavNet screen) to the port side to the corresponding vertical area behind the chart "table". Has anyone ventured in there? Is there any space behind that panel?
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

If your boat is setup like mine there is room behind the chart table. I do not know if it is deep enough for a chartplotter but if necessary you could make a dress ring to push the instrument further out.

To see how much space is there, remove the screws securing the circuit breaker panel and tilt it downwards. All of the wiring for my breakers goes behind the chart table to the panel. Be careful drilling or routing to not catch a wire.

BTW - I've thought of doing exactly the same thing.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Port Side Instruments

Post by RicM »

Jack:

Yeah. My boat came with a complete Furuno NavNet1 system, Radar/Chartplotter/Sounder/Heading Sensor, the works, but the 7" screen is too small to see from the cockpit when fishing, especially when split to show Chart/Fishfinder when drifting or trolling. Karen likes to watch the fishfinder and it would give her a set of controls to fiddle with and learn more about how it works.

I am thinking of adding a Furuno 1920 Chart plotter (10" screen) which will share radar/fishfinder info to the helm station and move the 1732 (7") to the navigator's station along with the VHF. I have a remote mic with full controls to keep on the helm side. I am also adding an auto pilot so I need room for the head on the helm side for that as well. Eventually I would like to move the 1920 to the nav side and put a 10" NavNet3 radar chart plotter on the helm side with an open array radar, and satellite weather but that will have to wait for the next fiscal year!

Off to the boat show in Providence to torture the electronic exhibitors!
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”