• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Batteries?

Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

Batteries?

Post by Saltdog »

I have a 2001 with original house batteries. These are four small (I think six volt) batteries. The starting battery is a very large battery and it was replaced last year.

The batteries have been kept charged with the inverter, which, I think, is why they have lasted this long.

I think just because they are seven years old it is time to replace them. What should I replace them with? I have heard that golf cart batteries are a good choice. Can anybody give me some advice, or reccommend a site where I can read about this?

I have one additional question as well regarding the battery switch. Can that switch be changed from one to two or both while the engine is running, or do you have to turn off the engine before changing the battery swtich selection?

Thanks
elad9000

Post by elad9000 »

Look into Odyssey batteries. They are actually dry cells that are about 2/3 the size and weight. They last forever without the problems of leakage. They can even be drawn down to zero and will still come back to life.

I replaced both my running and house batteries on my 28TE with PC 2150's.

They are more expensive but very well worth the added cost.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I replaced mine with the same battery as Elad. Great reviews. No trouble with starting since installed. Very pricey.
I have two for starting, one for the house.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Make sure all of your batteries are the same type. If you switch to the dry cells for the house battery you need to switch to the same for the starting battery. I am not sure all chargers can accomodate the different battery types. I believe there are some switch settings that need to be changed if you change types.

Someone with better knowledge than I will jump in with the details (I hope).

On the battery switch, I believe you can switch with the engine running so long as you never pass over the off position. In other words, the switches make connection to the next position before breaking connection with the last. "Off" being the exception to the rule. If you hit the off position, damage to the alternator is likely.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”