• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Potential 28te buyer engine question

N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

Tom:

Good pickup on the difference between a Yanmar 6LPA-DTE (260hp) and a 6LPA-STE (315hp). Check out this site for information on the 6LPA-STE and other optioned 6LPA-“S” optioned engines within the topic Yanmar Engine Problems

Note that only certain engines are effected and that the warranty settlement period has expired!

A good independent Yanmar site can be found at www.yanmarhelp.com. In recent weeks (Feb, 2008) that URL has been intercepted by Yahoo. Don’t know if the site has fallen victim to Yahoo’s shutting down sites as reported in the March 2008, issue of PcWorld, page 44. This link will still get you into the help site:

http://yanmarhelp.com/index.htm

Unfortunately, I can not provide an answer to either of your two questions, but I see that since I started writing this a response has been posted.

Good researching,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Engine Question

Post by RicM »

Tom:

What year was the boat? Where was it located? Average use in New England is about 100hrs/season, but a Florida boat could have 200+ per season. I have not heard of a 270 HP Yanmar installed from the factory in the last few years they have been mainly 315 HP. The engine with the valve problems often cited was the precursor to the current engine and was referred to as 300HP even though it's the same engine with different valve seats. The best way to determine if the valve seats are correct is engine serial #. Mac Boring can tell you if the seals are right on a specific engine or not. Average life on a diesel powered boat depends on many factors, simply the hour number is not a good indicator. How it was maintained, how often it was run, quality of fuel & oil all have a lot to do with it. Check out www.boatdiesel.com. Lot's of Yanmars go many thousands of hours.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
tom&shan

Re: Engine Question

Post by tom&shan »

RicM wrote:Tom:
What year was the boat? Where was it located?
Year: 2003
Located in Bellingham, WA
YW# 955-1822147
Engine(s): Yanmar Diesel Engine(s) HP: 315 Engine Model: 6LPA-DTP
Hours: 900 Cruising Speed: 18 Max Speed: 24

As I stated in my earlier question - I dont think the engine is 315 HP and do the hours seem kind of high for a 2003?

Thanks,

Tom
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

As I stated in my earlier question - I dont think the engine is 315 HP and do the hours seem kind of high for a 2003?
You could say that 900 is high but as others have mentioned it really depends on maintenance. Some would say a well maintained high hour diesel is better than a low hour engine that was only moderatly maintained.
I came from the gas world where 1000-1500 is the life expectency. I don't know how old you are or how long you expect to keep this boat but 10 years X 200 hrs is only another 2000.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Engines

Post by RicM »

The 315 engine is the 6LP-STP. See:
http://www.yanmarmarine.com/uploads/pro ... chData.pdf

The DTP is a 260HP motor.
http://www.yanmarmarine.com/uploads/pro ... hnData.pdf

One of the listing items is incorrect. The STP was pretty much standard issue on the 03 28TE, That's what I have in mine and you will probably find it in 80% of the Albin 28's built in the 21st century. I believe the DTP's were used in twin engine setups in the larger TE's, 31ft & 35Ft. I find it hard to imagine special ordering a 28 with 260HP to go slower, you would probably only make about 18KT at WOT.

My 28TE has 530 hours on it, and I put on 230 of them last season alone. Lot's of guys in the NW fish all year, so 900 hours would not surprise me. I'd want to see the service records. It might be lever in price negotiations, but yeah, it's going to take you 40+ years to get it to 10,000 hours with heavy recreational use. We'll be burning hydrogen by then.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I would say it's an error and should have been listed as an STP, not DTP. To answer your question re: HP - Variations in HP on these hulls do not effect speed like a planing hull with outboard(s). I've been on 28TE's with several different size engines and a couple of knots difference is about it.

I spoke with the same Tech at MB about some of the 6LP's going 10K hrs. Actually, every time I call him with a questions and tell him I have the 6LP he brings up that same story. :D It's all about proper setup, care and use.

It's said that these high speed diesels will never have the life of the low speed diesels but for pleasure use I think we'll be just fine...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

I have to agree that proper maintained and used engines (gas or diesel) will add significantly to their lifespan.
My 2001 has 1050hrs and feels strong and looks great. I change oil in spring and fall (I should look into synthetic, but then maybe change once a year ?), change zinks, ect.. but more important try not to run it wrong. ie dont overheat, over-rev it.

N4QC you mentioned that the Yanmar extended warranty is up ? I think you mean for some motors ? I have an engine in that range, have called Mack Boring and they will not do anything so long as nothing is wrong.
I am planning on replacing the valve seals on my dime (too much to loose if I dont) and have called my local Yanmar guys (Dickson marine). They do not have mobile service so I have to get a transporter, ect..

All in all, even with the potentially bad seals I love the way the Yanmar runs, quite and not too much smoke.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Synthetic oil

Post by RicM »

There have been extended, and I mean EXTENDED debates on synthetic oil over at boatdiesel.com. What I got from it is that there are MANY kinds of synthetic oil. Some are blends, some pure synthetic. Amsoil is a100% synthetic and is a cult among diesel users in construction, logging, long distance trucking etc and works great for year round use. For recreational marine diesels there is no great advantage, however, as the hours are not high, duty not high, and they sit unused for long periods (winter lay up). Apparently many synthetics have higher "flow" characteristics, meaning they will leave less (very little) lubrication on cylinder walls after a winter layup. Any wear saved during the season is quickly made up for when starting the engine "dry" in the spring.
Oil in a diesel not only lubricates, but carries away the black soot you see in the oil and filter when you change them. While the expensive synthetic goes longer without breaking down than dino oils, it will then become more loaded with diesel crud requiring filter changes anyway to keep engine wear to a minimum. My final take away was good conventional oils & filters changed regularly (100 hrs max) are the best way to protect your marine diesel.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”