• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Radar Mast

Fogg~Dogg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Radar Mast

Post by Fogg~Dogg »

Does anyone know who the manufacturer is the the new radar masts on the 28TE? I want to install a KVH M2 satellite receiver this year, but every mast I've looked at wants to attach to the top of the radar arch. To me, that would look ridiculous...way out of proportion, and a lousy "add-on" look. If I go with the mast, then I can add another shelf on the backside to accomodate the KVH. FYI, I've looked at SeaTrac and Edson...both give me pause.

Thanks. Hey, if anyone has photos of a similar installation I'd greatly appreciaten them. If I have to remove the radar arch to get a good look, then I'll go with the mast. I need the height because I have a liferaft installation just below the radar arch right now.

I remember some interesting pixtures from Pitou.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Radar Masts

Post by Pitou »

I can't help with who made the masts for Albin, but am happy to share some thoughts ideas and photos. Albin had not gone to the "Newport" look when I had sought out a fabricator. For me, doing away with the arch was not an option as having a place for rod holders was and is very important to my boating. I did have a fleeting moment of the thought of "will this look funny" mounted on the arch? Either everyone is just polite or truly sincere in their compliments. When you start to look around at masts, with the exception of the newer picnic boats, they've always been an add on. Function over form. If you choose to remove the arch a fabricator can arch the mounting plate to the curvature of the roof. Just use a piece of cardboard for a template. A link to the fabricator that I used is at the bottom of this post. Son of a gun, it looks like he put a few shots of my mast in production and mounted on his site.

Hey Fogg Dogg a ride to visit Elwynne (the prop dr.) in Harpswell would not be that far for you. Say hello if you pursue anything with him.

The 1st photo shows the issue with the newly installed life raft, at the time, interfering with the radar.

A couple of photos mounted:
[/img]Image

Mast in production:[/img]Image

A couple for ideas:
Image[/img]Image

http://www.prop-dr.com/index.html
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Fogg~Dogg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Radar Mast

Post by Fogg~Dogg »

Thanks for the input. I agree...your's really looks great. I'll call the Prop guy and discuss the project with him. I think it will work well. We'll see.
I'm out of Portsmouth/Newington. If you're ever heading out to the Isles of Shoals on a weekend, let me know and I'll swing by. Thanks again.
Oh ya...I couldn't like the boat more than I do!!
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Fogg~Dogg ...... Just wanted to offer to share the trials and tribulations .... if you want ... happy to have you down to Essex anytime to checkout the mast and how it is installed. I take it down at seasons end .... no big deal 10 - 15 minutes up or down. Makes wrapping the boat easier and the travel lift operator happy.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Fogg~Dogg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Radar Mast

Post by Fogg~Dogg »

A site visit would be great! When is your boat out of the wrapper? Any chance you're heading up to the Maine Boatbuilder's Show next weekend?
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Site Visit on PITOU

Post by Pitou »

PITOU is accessable. I put a door in the shrinkwrap every year to make things accessable anytime. Over the years I've been able to recycle the door for 2 or 3 seasons. The wrap should be off 1st-2nd week of April. I've got a couple of things I'd like to get done rain or shine. You tell me when.

Unable to make the Boat Builders show this year, but a great venue for anyone interested .......... talk about some downeast boats 8) . Last year I went on Friday and 2 feet of snow fell that evening. Stayed in Portland that night and kicked our way to my favorite restaurant, FORE STREET, for dinner. All the wooden boat and hardware guys were there too.

Fogg~Dogg - sent you an e-mail with my cell.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”