• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 25 New Purchase

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sookelarry
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Victoria

Albin 25 New Purchase

Post by Sookelarry »

Hello Everyone. Well I managed to purchase an Albin 25 from Cowichan Bay Wooden Boat Society. A local chap had donated the boat to the society and I purchased last July. The boat is called Time Out and is Albin Deluxe. I have been working from Stern to Bow to make her shipshape again. Started in the aft cabin and removed the old vinyl with foam backing. Worst part was scrapping the glue off the inside of the hull. I have then rebuilt the transom covers with some new wood, teak surround and new digital lights. Been also doing lots of sanding and varnish. The boat was re-engined I think in 2010 with 30 HP Yanmar. I have engaged a canvas chap for replacing the canvas over the cockpit and have also started process to build stainless rack between forward part of cabin top and aft cabin, so as to carry my cedar strip kayaks which I built. Hope the pics load up and will update as things progress. Located in Victoria BC.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Albin 25 New Purchase

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Looks nice! What model Yanmar? We like our 24 HP Yanmar 3GM30F. We'll look for you next summer, hopefully at one of the Albineers of BC rendezvous if we can make it. That is fingers crossed that the US-Canada border remains open to non-essential travelers, what with Omicron & all.

Knife juggling busker working Victoria waterfront, July 2019
20190723_133020.jpg
World famous Empress Hotel, downtown Victoria, BC from the waterfront. Capital of BC Province, one of our favourite cities.
20190723_131552.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

If you come up Pender Island way keep an eye out for Sea Quill. I strongly recommend you consider joining the BC Albineers or attending one of their rendezvous. They have a lot of good background material and helpful documentation.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

A couple years ago we found Cow Bay after scoping out Genoa Bay. We missed their rally by one week. Loved it! This of course was all pre-covid and we spent a couple nights there, walked the whole town, found the bakery...look for the long line...typical. Met some great people, fishermen and cruisers, shop owners, random conversations led us to a fellow who is a transport captain. He'll move our 60 footer for us and show us how to drive it...as soon as we buy it.

I recall seeing at least three A25s up there. Pat has the outboard engine strapped to his (beefed up) swim step. One at anchor, and another in a slip towards the end of town, north? I have developed a knack for picking out A25s in the sea of fiberglass and masts and canvas and deteriorating tarps. We were in a hotel in Victoria and I joked to the SC, what do bet we find one with the binocs. Sure enough, in the dock at the hotel was an A25. No binocs needed.

Hope we can meet in person! Keep up the good work!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

"I have developed a knack for picking out A25s in the sea of fiberglass and masts and canvas and deteriorating tarps. We were in a hotel in Victoria and I joked to the SC, what do bet we find one with the binocs. Sure enough, in the dock at the hotel was an A25. No binocs needed."
Don't we all! I'm pretty sure BC Canada is home to the largest concentration of Albin 25's anywhere in North America. Wonder what ever happened to that Bonum 25 variant we spotted sitting on its trailer in the West Sound Marina parking lot on Orcas in the San Juans during our first PNW cruise back in 2014? If you google "Bonum 25" there's a lot of pics on the internet.
DSCN1515.JPG
They were the next generation early 1980s version of Albin 25 with some interesting changes. Very few made it to North America & must be quite rare on this side of the pond.

https://www.boat24.com/en/powerboats/al ... il/481719/
bonun25_1.jpg
bonun25_2.jpg
bonun25_3.jpg
Many more photos on the linked site. They did away with the nice chart table at the helm and the two person bench driver's seat like the earlier A25's. The sink & faucet in the cockpit may have been an owner mod, that doesn't show up in some of the other Bonums on the 'net.

This 2012 ad in Denmark had a bid price of 58,250 DKK, or $8,967 in current US dollars.
https://www.retrade.eu/en/aitem/147632/ ... A5d___Boat

This might be an interesting mod for canvas cockpit enclosure, extended all the way back over the aft cabin top, two bow frame set back allowing easier side entry & large windows side & back.
Bonum_255_motorbåd___Boat.jpg

I think we should all meet at Dave's house on N. Pender again and do another grilled salmon BBQ cookout on the back patio like we did in '18.
20180625_210945edit.jpg
20180625_205135.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

A salmon awaits for the day we can do that! Possibly some wine too.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Sign us up!
Does your bay hold enough water at low tide to throw a hook in?
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

Just so long as you anchor between the 1st and 2nd wharves. Once past our neighbour's wharf low tide becomes an issue.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Sookelarry
Mate
Mate

Post by Sookelarry »

Thanks for the comments. The engine is 3YM30. Look forward to some of the RVs next summer. On other boat related projects I noticed the Racor had alot of growth in it so I knew that I had water in main fuel tank. The stainless steel tank has an access port in it but was one of those plastic types that you see in Kayaks. So I removed as was leaking and replaced with proper diesel fuel access port. Has great system where the inside plate folds in half which allows to place inside tank. Has gasket inside and out and cover plate. The studs are welded on inside plate so easy to tighten up. While I was cleaning the tank from considerable bio growth I found about 20 small rocks inside the tank. Not sure if someone poured down fuel filler hose or other reason. Anyway I decided to remove them. The inside baffle was also broken away from tank so I cut it out with some metal shears about 2 in at time via the access port. That was a fun two hours. So have new fuel in tank and clean Racor. Purged system of air and engine seems to run fine. Next project is installing a Chinese Diesel Heater in place of the Espar that most likely died in the 90s. Will post some info on the heater and how it flashes up or not. Pretty cheap heaters and if works quite the savings from the mainline heaters you purchase from local marine shop.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Nice work on the tank. I installed an access port in our tank, was it really five years ago?, cut out the loose baffle, found plenty of gunk, and should reinspect before launch this spring.

I rehabbed the espar heater but am hearing good reports on the Chinese heaters. Thanks for keeping us up to date on your progress.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Good engine! 21.3 KW continuous = 28.6 HP. Fuel consumption @ ~ 2,400 RPM = ~ 0.7 GPH, or about 2.6 Ltr/hr for our Canadian friends.

https://www.yanmar.com/marine/wp-conten ... 021_HR.pdf
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Sookelarry
Mate
Mate

Post by Sookelarry »

Update on Chinese Heater install. I purchased the professional sounding HappyBuy 8 KW Diesel Air Heater 12 volt. I used the old Espar location for install and mounted the heater on aluminum plate between the old brackets. It fits nicely in the location to right of helm and at about knee level if standing at helm. I lined it up so exhaust port lines up with exhaust elbow that goes through hull. For the stainless pipe that comes with heater it is 22mm inside diameter. So I purchased a 22mm new exhaust elbow that I will fit into hull and remove the old one. I used the old fuel line from my main tank to older heater. Cut out the older fuel filter and pump and used some new fuel line hook up to new fuel pump. I placed the fuel pump about 12 inch from new heater and ensured the pump was vertical as saw UTube video that pump is lubricated with diesel fuel and will create dry spot if pump is horizontal. I then hooked up wiring harness to main heater, fuel pump, control panel, and 12 volt power. I left fuel unhooked and into plastic container and turned machine on few times to bleed system. Not alot of fuel came out just few drops. So hooked up exhaust pipe to heater and temp placed out of older exhaust elbow to vent outside and hooked fuel line to heater. I powered up the system about three times before it started to get good fuel and the pump really started working at high volume. The heat coming out of heat end of heater is really hot and will easily heat my forward and aft cabin. So really pleased thus far but has only been running for 1/2 hour. I had on half power and lowest setting I could place on dial and heat was great. Need to tidy up wiring harness, place control switch in awkward position that requires you to get out of your bunk to adjust, and fit new exhaust elbow once arrives. Not sure power usage and fuel usage at this time. So hope this helps anyone thinking about the Chinese cheap as chips heater system. Larry
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Great info. Thanks! Are you installing the little day tank that is good for 100 hours?! Really? Maybe I read it wrong.
Sookelarry
Mate
Mate

Post by Sookelarry »

WillieC
I think auto correct changed some words for me or I did not reread prior to posting. I did not use the little day tank. I took fuel directly from main tank to heater.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

I was reading some product info on the heater from Amazon. Your post was fine. I do get in trouble myself with auto-correct. If it wasn't so handy, I'd disable it.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”