• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Descaling Reverse Cycle Heat/AC

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Descaling Reverse Cycle Heat/AC

Post by Pitou »

As preventative maintenance replacing the reverse cycle heat/air conditioning hoses (29 ft. of 5/8" single wire reinforced hose) I decided that this was a good opportunity to descale the unit.

Using a 5 gallon bucket, a sump pump, 2 gallons of Barnacle Buster I cycled the mix through one direction for 30 minutes and then reversed for 30 minutes. Afterward I ran a fresh water hose to flush for 15 minutes running through the discharge hose and exiting its thru hull.

There were no prior issues and flow was strong, but surprisingly there was significant crud in the bottom of the bucket when all was said and done.

The new hoses go in tomorrow.
20220527_160833.jpg
20220527_161037.jpg
20220527_175030.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
gerber30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fort Pierce, FL

Re: Descaling Reverse Cycle Heat/AC

Post by gerber30 »

Great idea, I should do the same. What spec/hose are you replacing it with?
2004 31 TE w/ twin 370 Cummins (current)

Previous Boat
'97 28 TE w/2005 Yanmar
"Marianne"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Descaling Reverse Cycle Heat/AC

Post by Pitou »

gerber30 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:36 pm Great idea, I should do the same. What spec/hose are you replacing it with?
Your in a similar aged hull, so not a bad idea.

I spec'd out 5/8" Shieldflex II, but was unable to get it locally and ended up with Trident-Flex which is pretty nice hose. Both are the same wet exhaust temp spec., but the Trident has a thicker wall. I have removed the hot water tank indirect heating hoses from the engine as well and will be doing the same, but for now will just run the generator for 120V heating of the hot water .. it's a good way to force the exercising of the generator.

I installed it today and the Shieldsflex II would have been a little easier to install given the size of the hole chase in the bukkhead between the head and under the hanging locker into the storage under the starboard dinette seating for the discharge hose. It discharges through the thru hull behind the sink cabinet in the head.

20220528_140905.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Albin Maintenance”