• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 vs 31

tom&shan

28 vs 31

Post by tom&shan »

Ok Albin Owners - a survey question for you.
I started out looking for a 28 TE , but now I'm considering a 31 TE.
For those that own either a 28 or a 31 - what are the pros and cons?

My thoughts originally for the 28 was cost. It seems the smaller boat would have lower operating costs, lower initial purchase cost, lower maintance costs. But what makes me consider the 31 is the size of the Pilothouse, i.e. my wife wants us to have the ability to go out with another couple in the boat, and thinks the pilothouse looks too small.

Comments ? If this topic has already been covered please point me to the link - thanks.

Cheers,
Tom
rt11002003
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rt11002003 »

Our Albin is the 27 Aft Cabin. We feel we need something a little larger. The aft cabin of the 27 is great because my wife has sleeping problems; we need some separation so that she feels comfortable when she can't sleep. Doesn't want to disturb me.

Another factor driving our choice is having the ability to have a bunk without having to setup and takedown a settee. The 27 doesn't have a separate bunk in the forward cabin.

A further desire is an enclosed pilot house.

We looked at a new 2006 31 TE last year. The enclosed pilot house was air conditioned and it provided enough room for my wife when she couldn't sleep. And was large enough for her to sleep and not not return below.

It had the larger bunk below (I believe it was the same size as the bunk in the 28 TE engine box model), large enough for both of us. Leaving the settee in place.

Price was a factor, according to my wife. However, since then she's leaning toward something to spend a month or two on. We've started looking at the Mainship 390 and the Mainship 40. I know, I know. They aren't Albins. I wanted to buy an Albin 36 Express Cruiser when we bought the 27. She doesn't like the layout of the 36 and I agree.

Look closely at the 31 TE. I think it has a lot ot offer.

Gene
Gene Currently Albin "less"
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I said in several post here, that my 28 would be the perfect "couples" boat if it was just 31' long. I really like my 28 but it could be a tad bit bigger.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Maid Marian
Mate
Mate

Post by Maid Marian »

The 31 TE is two times the 28. By this I mean 2x the weight 2x the price, 2x the operating cost (with twins) 2x living space. I too started looking at the 28 because of the price. I'm glad I waited to buy the 31. I have spent over a week with 4 people on board cruising the hudson river for 5 years now. Couldn't have done it comfortably with the 28.
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Post by Mike Ebert »

I love my 31TE. With the wide beam there is a lot of room in the cockpit for fishing and for spreading out down below. They are about to shut down our entire salmon season on the west coast and there already are some nice 31TE's available out here.
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

28/32/35

Post by Legacy »

Might as well go right to the 35!
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fuel Cost

Post by RicM »

My 28 averaged 3.2 Gal/hour last season. Fuel economy was a big factor in my choice of a 28TE, as we did over 230 hours last season. I expect to do more traveling at hull speed this season and enjoying the scenery. The 28 is a great boat for 4-6 to fish on for the day. If we cruise overnight with another couple they can bring their own boat!
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
rt11002003
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rt11002003 »

I think Rick's idea is great!

In the used boat market I'm not sure there is a significant price difference. Of course I'd need to do some research and get to the offering stage before I can be sure of that statement.

At Christmas time, while in FL, we looked at a Mainship 390 (my wife's choice). I had planned to look at a 35 TE. When we arrived at the marina the boat's owner had moved it back to TX, or m/b LA.

I'm still eager to look one over.

Gene
Gene Currently Albin "less"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”