• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Where did everyone go?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Where did everyone go?

Post by Denis »

Since the interview with Andrew Page, this forum has been strangely quiet. Where did everyone go?

I can't believe summer is winding down already. Once the kids go back to school, things fold up in a hurry up here and that happens in a few weeks.
I am thinking about looking for some property somewhere along the intracoastal. Something I can build on when I get a little older.
Can anyone shed some light on that prospect for me. Maybe you have done it or know of someone that has. What are some things for me to look out for?
Denis
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I'm still checking on the site daily, but I think a lot of people are gone this time of year. I know I'll be on the boat all next week, and I'm sure I'm not the only one with a summer boating vacation planned.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Can ya hear me now

Post by JackK »

I was thinking the same thing ... but I'm still here.

Jack
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Funny that you posted that Dennis, I was thinking of doing a "What I did last weekend" post just to have SOME activity here! :)

And what I did was spend Friday and Saturday night on the boat at my mooring, organizing and exploring. Pulled up the deck boxes and crawled around looking at the bottom of the engine (I appear to have a remote oil drain system - who knew!) Did some mapping of the electrical system, listened to the Yankees game(s) on the radio, had a few beers and watched the moon rise (really nice!)

Did a quick trip over to Northport NY on Sunday, straight across Long Island Sound from Norwalk where I keep the boat. The trip helped prove why I bought the Albin. In my old boat if I came across a large wake I had to slow down and turn into it just so. In the Albin I just plowed right through! Fantastic! I LOVE this boat!

How about the rest of you? Someone must have done something!

Doug
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Since the Albin is out of town, I spent last weekend at home. Acutally helped my girlfriend hold a garage sale to benefit breast cancer. Also did a little crabbing in the Whaler and of course drank my fair share of beer.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I'm here every day too....thought it was kinda quiet also....

I did have a chance to remove my 13" VCR TV from the boat. Anyone replaced that with a flat screen? with DVD??? I'm looking but so far all I've found that would fit in the same hole are similar models. I'd love to find something lighter, flat panel with built in DVD. The orginial Samsung weighs a ton and I no longer use VCR tapes.

As far as ICW property check out areas in North Carolina . Virginia is really pricey if you're looking to be on the water anywhere....and I mean PRICEY.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

It seems like we are all lurking, but it has been quiet. I've been working my a$$ off the last two weeks and went to the raft-up last weekend. It was glorious weather. 80's during the day, mid 50's at night. No bugs or mosquitos. I have a ton of pictures to go through. I don't want to post 13 pictures of the dog. <smile> Hopefully tonight I'll have some time to devote to posting.
Also finally purchased a Honda EU2000i generator. Should be in Friday or Monday. Friday would be good since we are planning another weekend on the hook. I had to plug into a Sea Ray with a generator to charge mine back up on Sunday.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

jcollins wrote: Also finally purchased a Honda EU2000i generator. Should be in Friday or Monday. Friday would be good since we are planning another weekend on the hook. I had to plug into a Sea Ray with a generator to charge mine back up on Sunday.
Oh the shame of it! Plugging in to a Sea Ray! :wink:

I'll be VERY interested to hear about your experience with the EU2000. I've been toying with the idea of that or the EU1000, figured the 1000 would be easier to store, maybe even in the fishbox (I have a big cooler if I ever catch a fish worth keeping) and don't know that I need the extra capacity. Of course if I get the smaller one I'll probably wish I had the larger one, and vice-versa.

Glad you had a good weekend. If your weather was anything like ours it was a fantastic time to be on the water! I'll be watching for the photos.

Doug
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I use a 2,000 watt Honda on my boat and it does everything I want it to. It will heat the hot water tank and charge the batteries. I need to run it twice a day for a half hour or so and thats it. I put it up front near the bow pulpit and run the cord back to the ac input. It's nice and quiet that way.

Last weekend I went through all the dip switches that are on the back of the inverter remote. I found two switches that were not set right and the power switch turned on. Each one of those things would contribute to the batteries running down quicker than they should. I love to look for trouble when I have nothing to do. My first mate was out of town for a week and I took the boat out overnight alone. I hooked up with some friends and made the best of it though.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Dennis, where do you store the generator? And the gas for it?

Do you have the 'standard' west marine charger/inverter with the Heart Interface remote? One thing I've wondered about, having (for once) read the manual, is if it would ever pop the breaker on the 2000 watt generator by trying to draw the full 30 amps that it expects from a shore-power hookup. I think the EU2000 is rated for 13+ amps continuous.

Do you ever find yourself headed down towards Norwalk? It would be great to hook up with some fellow LIS Albin folks. All those Chesapeake guys with their rendezvous’ are making me jealous!
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Hi DougSea

I had wondered many times about the loading and charging questions that you expressed. That is why I read the manual and checked the dip switches and found some of them were set wrong. So it might be worth looking at.
I have the Heart remote but I think it is a Heart inverter also. It may be distributed by West marine I dont' know but the manual says Heart.
I bought a marine fitted cover for the generator from Honda and I store it behind the helm seat on a small foam pad. The pad protects the deck and the cover protects the generator. I keep a small gas can on board for my outboard anyway and I keep that on the deck also. I do not want to store any gas in any compartment. The tank on the generator will easily run for two or three days on the tank in the generator and is fine for a weekend.
You can set the inverter, with the dip switches, for the amperage of the electrical supply, so you can set it so that it does not draw more than the generator can supply.
I have never gone down past Cedar Island Marina in Clinton for some reason, I always head north or out to Long Island. I understand about being jealous of the boats in the Chesapeak and even thought about driving down in a car to visit. We should see if we can meet someplace in the middle. Denis
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Thanks for the info on the switch settings Dennis, I didn't notice the one for input current when I read it. Of course when I read it it was just for background. Now I'll just have to give some more thought to the 1000 vs. the 2000.

On the LIS topic - I'd be happy to try and find a day to make a trip halfway (or maybe even all the way) up towards you. Have to get my charts out. If you're interested in heading my way look for Sprite Island down on the border of Norwalk and Westport, that's my home port.

Return to “General Discussion”