• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Good ways to list an A-25 for sale?

Albin's "power cruisers"
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Good ways to list an A-25 for sale?

Post by NickScheuer »

My wife (favorite First Mate/able Seaperson) passed away suddenly 3 weeks ago and I am considering selling our 1976 Albin-25, the DuNORD. What are some of the ways others have discovered for effective marketing? My most effective avenue for having bought and sold several boats is no longer in business. That was the classifieds in Messing About In Boats magazine.
11kolive
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vashon Island, WA

Re: Good ways to list an A-25 for sale?

Post by 11kolive »

So sorry to hear of your loss Nick. I have seen many A25’s sold by listing in this group. If you have FB there is an Albin 25-27 page that gets a lot of exposure as well. Good Lick on your sale and Best wishes as you process all of these changes in your life.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

My sincere condolences on your sudden loss. That must be so devastating! My own wife was seriously ill last month with a sudden onset life threatening case of pneumonia from which she recovered after a week in hospital, two days of which were in ICU followed by 10 days in a rehab hospital. Thankfully she recovered but I don't know what I would do if I lost her. So I"m sure the last thing you want to deal with is what to do with your boat. As for listing, Craigslist is how we found our boat & sold the sailboat previous to that. And of course the classified section here on AOG. There's FB as 11kolive says, and also Yachtworld and Boattrader. Otherwise if you'd rather not have the stress of dealing with showings and haggling with potential buyers yourself, which I wouldn't blame you, you might try finding a good consignment broker near your area. For example, just from a quick Google map search, one possibility might be Grand Sport Center in Lake In The Hilis, IL about 50 minute drive from Rockford.

http://www.grandsportcenter.com/

Whatever you decide best of luck going forward.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Nick, I'm so sorry about the loss of your wife. The suddenness adds a separate dimension to the grief.

You've gotten good advice above about where to advertise your boat if you decide to sell it. I'll go out on a limb, though, and suggest that, unless the thought of being on the boat by yourself is just unimaginable, you might think about postponing this major decision and see how you feel a little further down the road.

My thoughts are with you.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Sad to hear, Nick. Brave of you to include us here at AOG. It's been 22 years for me, though happily remarried now, she is still with us in so many ways.

I am so sorry. Keep breathing and take your time. I will remember you.
Ed422
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dundalk, MD

Post by Ed422 »

I’m very sorry for your loss.

Ed
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

One big factor, Nancy, is that the 1993 Dodge Diesel extended cab pickup we use to tow the DuNORD has some serious rust in the chassis under the cab. I really do not want to purchase another truck. Ironically, the Dodge is otherwise in very good mechanical condition.

I actually found the DuNORD on Craigslist, with a big advantage being its location in Madison, WI, only 90 miles from Rockford.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I'm a big fan of Dodge diesel trucks too. I've had my 2006 4x4 Laramie since 2011 & still running strong. Over 20,000 miles of "DA" towing La Dolce Vita & 10,000+ miles towing an 18 ft travel trailer. Best vehicle I've owned in 50+ years of driving. Mine is an "Arizona" vehicle, garage kept, so no rust. Trucks like this are very expensive. A new one equipped like mine would cost over $70K. Even a 5 yr old used one as mine was when I bought it would be $40K or more. Take things one day at a time & as others have said take your time with major decisions. You're still grieving, so let that process play out & think in terms of what your late wife would have wanted you to do.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

I'll; take the advice of you and others, DesertAlbin736. My 93' Dodge was a Florida truck I found on Ebay and already old when I flew down to Mama to drive it home.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

So sorry to hear of your loss, that is never easy.

As far as the dodge goes, these are the best trucks ever built in my opinion. My 1994 started life as a regular cab 8’bed 4x4. I have since cut it in half and spliced two trucks together to create an extra cab 6’ bed 4x4. It is approaching now half a million miles and still runs and drives as good as if it was new. I am sort of looking around for a really new Ram Laramie 4x4 of course. The only reason I’m looking to retire the old truck is the wife is insistent. But once I do replace this old truck, it’s not going anywhere. It’s like my Albin 25, it’s here forever, but then again I’ve already had it for 22 years. Best vehicle I’ve ever owned by far.
Frames can be fixed or even replaced. That old 12 valve is worth it. How bad is the rust? Sometimes it can look terrible but in reality is not bad structurally and sone time with a needle gun and lots of fluid film applied can stop that rust.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

I was under the truck once and a chunk of something as large as my hand fell on me. Truck is at the shop now and when they hoist it up they will call me for a look-see.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Most likely it’s just sone scale. It’s absolutely amazing how much rust can balloon out forming scale that’s thick. But when cleaned off still leaves lots of base metal. I’m willing to guess it’s not that bad.

Remember, fluid film regularly applied can do wonders to stop, and prevent rust…

This picture is what I cleaned off the frame of my 2014 Suburban. Frame is still very solid…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

When I lived in upstate NY way back in the day before moving to AZ (and never looked back) "Arizona cars" were prized for being rust free. Same reason the Air Force parks its surplus "mothballed" planes down in Tucson. Back then in NY with roads salted each winter any vehicle over 5 years old would be a rust bucket. My truck started life in Ohio before the original owner traded it in out here in 2011 when it was 5 years old with 78K miles on the odo. Now it has 160K & change miles and zero rust. A few nicks & dings, but no rust. I keep it parked in my garage, so no cosmetic sun damage either.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

What is "fluid film"?
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Update on boat selling tips: I get the online version of BoatUS Magazine, and this article just came out on seller AND buyer beware of scammers. Interesting read. We are likely within a few years, maybe as soon as two or three years, of aging out, selling our boat and moving on from boat ownership. This makes me lean more toward listing with a legit consignment brokerage, because even a relatively "cheap" boat like an A25 is a significant amount of money to risk losing to a scammer. Also for someone like me in Arizona, local demand for a niche market type of antique boat like an Albin 25 is virtually non-existent. When time to sell comes I'm tempted to make it a last one way trip to Pacific NW, do a "farewell" cruise, and leave the boat up there with a reputable broker and let them handle the sale and consider the cost of commission a worthwhile piece of mind insurance policy.

Nick, the sudden loss of your spouse, may she rest in piece, is a wake up call to what can happen to any of us as we get older. Last month we had a close call with my Admiral. She almost succumbed to a sudden onset case life of threatening pneumonia and pleural effusion, spent a week in hospital including a couple days in ICU on death's door and ten days in a rehab hospital. She's less than two years away from turning 80 years old. The first night at home when she started feeling bad she got up in the night to use the bathroom and got disoriented on coming back to bed, fell, and fractured her right wrist. That resulted in plate an screws surgery, and she's still recovering from that. The next morning after a trip to an ER to set & splint the wrist she woke up even more disoriented and delirious. Thankfully she has recovered from the pneumonia, but only because I freaked out and called 911 and got the EMT's to transport her to the hospital by ambulance ASAP. If I had waited any longer we might have lost her.

boatscamalert.jpg
https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/ex ... n=magazine

https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/ex ... ling-scams
DSCN4291 (1280x960).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”