• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Exhaust water leak?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Bigsteve51
Gold Member
Gold Member

Exhaust water leak?

Post by Bigsteve51 »

Took my 28TE out for a nice run last evening after getting back in the water. I have a good bit of water that is black which makes me believe that i have a leak in the exhaust, i had replaced hoses up to the muffler but now suspect there is either a leak either from the muffler or hoses aft of the muffler . I have the engine box with a Cummins engine.

Has anyone ever replaced the muffler of hose between the muffler and exhaust outlet? If so did you remove the deck?

I hope it is not the muffler as trying to find one would be i suspect difficult...
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Re: Exhaust water leak?

Post by Jkraft »

I ran into this and it was the muffler. They were able to pull it out and reglass it. They did a professional job and even wrapped it in sound down material which helped quiet it down and it looked pretty
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Mike Monte
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

Post by Mike Monte »

The section of hose between my muffler and the exhaust outlet had a rust hole in it and was leaking water (and exhaust no doubt) into my bilge.
I had the exhaust hoses replaced.....
My deck was off as I was replacing the fuel tank.
The tech told me that he could have replaced the hoses with the deck on - but it would taken longer....thus more $ for labor.

I asked the tech if the repair could be done while the boat is in the water....he recommended against that idea.
Govino
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Napa Valley, CA

Post by Govino »

We had a raw exhaust water leak that came from a rusted-out mixer. Cummins 330 6BTA (36ET). Design flaw due to tight space and lack of height to allow draining properly. Hard to see at first because of the insulation wrapping but luckily caught it before saltwater drained back into the turbo. Now I pull the new insulation jackets off the new mixers annually for inspection.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”