• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar 6LP Turbo replacement

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jimeiffe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, NH

Yanmar 6LP Turbo replacement

Post by jimeiffe »

My turbo is bad and am in the process of having the marina install an OEM replacement. About how many hours of labor should a job like this take (I hear some of the bolts are challenging to access)? thank for the help! all the best - Jim
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Re: Yanmar 6LP Turbo replacement

Post by GSSeattle »

Just replaced the turbo on my 6lp. Unfortunately the mechanic didn't break down the hours from the other work I had done - install new turbo, new HDI exhaust mixer and riser, pull injectors for cleaning and reinstall, and all fluids ended up being 18 hrs. of labor. I don't recall them having a ton of challenges with the turbo.

I will say the price of the new turbo quoted from the Yanmar dealer was around $4500, but I got the same OEM IHI turbo from turbochargersdirect.com for about $2500.
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
Patrickgoggin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Beach

Post by Patrickgoggin »

Greg’s response is pretty accurate. I replaced my own turbo and bought the OEM part. Cost of the turbo was about $4500. It took me less than a day to install. It was not too hard. Toughest part was aligning the exhaust elbows at the end of the installation.
Patrick

2000 Albin 28 TE “Phantom”
1978 34’ Californian LRC “Spirit” (Prev)
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Did you need a special wrench to pull one of the upper bolts?
Patrickgoggin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Beach

Post by Patrickgoggin »

Not sure what “upper bolts” you are referring to but I did not need any special tools anywhere during the removal and installation.
Patrick

2000 Albin 28 TE “Phantom”
1978 34’ Californian LRC “Spirit” (Prev)
jimeiffe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, NH

Post by jimeiffe »

thank you all.
sbriggi
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Wareham, MA

Post by sbriggi »

I'm in the process of replacing my turbo after corrosion ate through the exhaust flange next to the exhaust elbow. I spent the day removing the deck and sette to provide access, then I washed down the soot that was deposited in the engine compartment. Then I disconnected the mixing elbow, oil supply line, coolant lines, and the waste gate line. I also removed 3 of the 4 mounting bolts, but I am beginning to realize gaining access to last mounting bolt and the oil return is not so simple. Do I have to drain cooling system and engine oil? Once drained, do I have to remove the transmission cooler to gain access? Does anyone have a process outline for removing the turbo?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Steve
ron82056
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Danvers

Post by ron82056 »

Sorry abriggi I just saw this this morning. The last nut is hard to get to, I used a couple of different length wrenches and patience to get it off and on. I disconnected the oil return line from the block and removed the turbo with the oil line attached to it. I did not remove the transmission cooler. I am sure your done but this my help others

Return to “Albin Maintenance”