• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

John Collins & AOG update

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

John Collins & AOG update

Post by Jkraft »

Hi everyone, you may have seen the post about John Collins in the news section but for some reason people are unable to comment there. Please see the information posted there below and feel free to comment as necessary.

From Nancy:

I’m writing today with the very sad news that John Collins, the founder and owner of this website, died in June after a long illness.

I’m so grateful that John started this site way back in 2006. It contains a wealth of information that isn’t available anywhere else. I know I’m not alone in saying that my husband and I wouldn’t have bought an Albin if it hadn’t been for this forum. John created a great community and miraculously kept it free from the rancor that infests so many forums.

I asked John’s wife, Sharon, who describes herself as computer illiterate, what she’d like convey to this group. She said that John worked hard on this site, and they met many wonderful people. When I asked her what else I should say, she replied, “They’ll know.” 🙂

There wasn’t a funeral for John. Instead, on July 23, his birthday, there was a celebration of life with 89 friends and family aboard a ferry. When I commented to Sharon that John would have loved that, she said, “He did.” How perfect.

If you’d like to be in touch with Sharon, her address is 3046 Pinewood Ave., Baltimore, MD 21214.

You may be wondering what will become of this website. A core group of us is determined that it will continue, but we need some help. I have posted separately about that. https://albinowners.net/aog/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14344

In the meantime, fair winds, John, with deep appreciation for your dedication to this group.
Last edited by Jkraft on Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Re: John Collins & AOG update

Post by marko »

I've always appreciated the AOG website and the depth of info available to us. Like Nancy, I would not have purchased my Albin without the data, posts and commentary contained here in. It was obvious that John put a lot into it, helped me many times and was enthusiastic. We need to carry it on as JKraft et al intend to do. Please post info as how to make donations, etc to be able to carry this to a new host. Please include a mailing address for checks for those not on PayPal, etc if possible. Thanks.
Marko
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Like I said to Nancy when reading her post at 3:30 in the morning. It took me a day to take it onboard that John had passed.

If it wasn’t for AOG I wouldn’t have taken the plunge and handed £50k over to a dealer who I’d never have met plus all the import and transport costs to have one of only five 28TE’s this side of the pond.

With this in mind we as a group must keep going, it’s Johns legacy and it’s our way of showing our respect and appreciation for everything he did with his time here with us.

Anything I can do to help, please let me know.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I only recently heard the news of John’s passing. Though I never met John in person, but I got several glimpses of him through AOG. I enjoyed his wry wit and his even way here at AOG.

My deepest condolences to Sharon and the family and his close friends. He gave us all a great gift.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

JB, thank you so much for helping me troubleshoot and test replies to my posts in the News & Guidelines section. I think I have made my way through the deep and murky forum settings and enabled the ability to reply to posts in the News & Guidelines section. I didn't realize when I originally posted that replied were somehow disabled.

It is so heartening to read the posts above offering support and help. Our immediate need is someone with expertise in phpBB (the forum software) and website migrations. Information about financial help will follow when we understand the scope of the project.

For those offering condolences and comments to Sharon, please know that she doesn't read the forum. I'm sure she'd be grateful to receive mail at the address posted above.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Post by gmberkley »

This is the first I've heard of John's passing, and like so many others, I would have sold my Albin within several months if it wasn't for this site. Within a few months after buying the boat, I realized I was in way over my head, and sinking fast, and made it known on this website, Nancy gave me words of encouragement, , and Kevin Street gave me his personal cell number and email, and we've been close ever since. He has become a good friend. This site is invaluable for anyone who has an Albin, and although my conversations with John were limited, he was always quick to respond and very polite and friendly. Thoughts and prayers for him and his family.

I have little knowledge of websites and the like, but will be happy to help and assist in any way I can.
Gregg M. Berkley 25 Ton Master USCG
2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck
Fairhaven, MA
DownEast2
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mystic

Post by DownEast2 »

I am very sorry to hear of John's passing and I would like to give my condolences to his family.
I never met John, but I bought my first Albin about the same time John bought his boat. I was looking for a forum to join and AOG popped up. I attempted to join but it never seemed to be working. The details seem fuzzy now but I somehow got in touch with a relative or someone who knew John and I told them to let John know that the site wasn't working. Within a couple of days it was fixed and I was registered as the third member on board. John and this site were a wonderful resource and I got to feel as if I were personal friends with these folks I never met.
Thank you John, for your vision and your dedication to AOG, we have all lost a good friend.
My best wishes, Denis

Return to “General Discussion”