• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Better hot water tank for 28TE

scarbo

Better hot water tank for 28TE

Post by scarbo »

The original factory-installed Force 10 domestic water heater is poorly insulated and doesn't keep water hot even overnight on the hook. I love my hot showers, so I replaced it with an Isotherm 6-gallon unit. Now I have warm water 48 hours after engine shut-down. And since the 110v. element in the Isotherm is lower wattage (750) than the Force 10, I can even heat it with my little portable Honda 1KW generator.
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Hot Water Tank

Post by joe.baar »

Can you describe how you removed and replaced the tank? Last time I was under the helm it was a jumble of wiring, hoses, a bilge pump and a couple of battery boxes restricting access. I'm sure my '95-vintage tank is ready for the recycle but I put the project off. Home maintenance is easy compared to this. Our first boat, of course.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Force Ten

Post by RicM »

I'm still trying to figure out how to replace the electrical elements in my Force 10 heater. The owners' manual is useless.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
scarbo

Post by scarbo »

I confess...I cheated. I had Cap Sante Marine (Anacortes, WA) do it when they installed the stern thruster. It was a few hours of labor, and quite a tight fit up under the helm chair, so I was happy to pay someone else to scrape their knuckles and curse. I usually do things myself, but this time I was happy to write a check.

I also added several flexible water tanks, one on each side of the V-berth behind the hinged side cushions, and one in the bow thruster compartment. I added a second fill port on the starboard walkaround deck, just outside the narrow locker in front of the head. All tanks drain by gravity to a transfer pump located next to the main plastic tank, and I pump into it as needed. On any trip longer than a couple days, 90 gallons is a huge improvement over 35. It's wasted space anyway, and far cheaper and more reliable than a watermaker.
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Hot Water Tank

Post by joe.baar »

Really superb thinking on all counts, thanks so much for the information and ideas.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”