• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Peninsular 6.5 Cylinder Heads

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

hmsmidge
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westport, MA

Peninsular 6.5 Cylinder Heads

Post by hmsmidge »

94 28TE engine box with the Peninsular 6.5 turbo about 1600 hrs. I've owned her about year and have had pretty good performance no real issues in that time, but right about the end of the season some gremlins showed up, primarily disappearing coolant and white smoke out the exhaust. no leaks in any hoses and oil looked fine no water or coolant in the pan. I figure its time for head gaskets, port side head appears to be the offender but I don't plan on really digging into anything until the weather warms up a bit here in new england. Also I'm a total noob with this engine, but things seem to be straightforward enough. Gaskets bolts remanned injectors and new glow plugs have been ordered from UD. Water pump was recently replaced by previous owner so no reason to suspect any issues there.
So here is my main question; I understand that some cracking between valves on the head is common enough, the goal is to squeeze another couple seasons out of it until an eventual repower is in the budget. That being said with any luck I can slap it all back together and call it a day. But in the unfortunate event the heads are indeed fried, has anyone gone the aftermarket route with new heads from Clearwater for example or something similar as opposed to oem from UD. I know they are made for the trucks, but at something like a third of the cost is this an option? just wondering if anyone has gone down that road and things are compatible, fitment/alignment/ passages/exhaust and all that. Appreciate any input, first time i've had a diesel anything so learning as i'm going.
As an aside, I've read plenty about the 6.5s less than desirable reputation, but I have to say, in my own experience at least, I've certainly appreciated its ease of use and as stated, have been pretty well satisfied with it after a year on buzzards bay, I don't mind dumping a little bit of blood and tears into her. At least until there's Yanmar money around anyway ;) Thanks for any opinions.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Peninsular 6.5 Cylinder Heads

Post by Nancy »

There are lots of satisfied Peninsular owners on this forum.
Wish I could answer your question about aftermarket heads.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987

Return to “Albin Maintenance”