• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Autopilot pump

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Mark Laurnen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes, WA

Autopilot pump

Post by Mark Laurnen »

I am planning to add a Furuno autopilot system aboard my 31’ TE. I’m starting to shop around for components as they appear on sale. I am far removed from my boat, and am uncertain as to the capacity (size) of the hydraulic rudder ram. I have twin Yanmars. Does any one have a similar set up and/or knowledge of the ram size which dictates pump choice? Thank you!
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: Autopilot pump

Post by catalina_mike »

A small pump is all you need. I can't imagine the 31 is that much larger then the 28.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

The pumps for furuno, Raymarine and simrad are actually made by a company here called Hypro. The one fitted to my 28 is capable for boats up to 38’ if I recall.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Mark Laurnen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes, WA

Post by Mark Laurnen »

Thank you for your replies! Your conclusions were supported by a quick call to Furuno ... they are always quick and pleasant to provide answers. Thinking that possibly "bigger is better", I spoke with Ron at Furuno. He said that is definitely NOT the case. An oversized pump cannot be scaled back enough to correctly interact with the control unit, and will have the autopilot continuously trying to make adjustments. Thanks again!

Return to “Electronics”