• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar 1000 Hour Service Cost?

Albin31ARB
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Aquebogue, NY

Yanmar 1000 Hour Service Cost?

Post by Albin31ARB »

We need 1000 hour services on our twin Yanmar 6LY2A-STP 370hp engines. I have received 2 estimates in the $18-$21K range for the two engines. We are on the East end of Long Island, NY. Has anyone else had this done and does the price sound about right?

Breakdown is approximately as follows:

Parts - $4-8K (one included new risers and mixing elbows, the other didn't)
Labbor - $12-14K (60+ hours)
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Yanmar 1000 Hour Service Cost?

Post by Tree »

18 to 21k? That’s rebuilt engine territory! I’m just doing a 10 year 2500 hour major overhaul on my 6lp which has run into issues due to the injector seats being bad. I’ve opted for a rebuilt head which has cost me around £2k I’ve replaced the running gear at a cost of £3k. Rebuilt the fuel pump and injectors £1k and taken the opportunity to replace fresh water pump, fuel cooler, thermostat all the cooler seals and just a general overhaul - ok my mechanic is cash but that has cost me around £2.5k as I did manage to get the parts for a steal as new old stock. Just need drop the transmission to check the damper plate and crankshaft oil seal and it’s ready to go back in. The most expensive part was the head gasket, inlet manifold, exhaust and turbo gaskets. Although valve stem oil seals aren’t cheap at £15 each x 24 of them.

Basically I’ve rebuilt the top end and fuel system for the costs I’ve showed above.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Tunateaser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Babylon, NY

Post by Tunateaser »

That seems a little high. I did a major tune up with coolers, hoses, risers belts, coolant etc. for much less. Sending you an email or message.
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Express
Hull#223
Twin 315 Yanmar 6lpa-stp
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

If the LYs are similar to the 6LPs the timing belt and tensioner should be done, the valves adjusted but the tech said the injectors was not necessary.
Did the other stuff myself.
Don’t remember the cost, North of $1k and South of $2k perhaps.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by REBMystic »

Albin31ARB wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:17 pm We need 1000 hour services on our twin Yanmar 6LY2A-STP 370hp engines. I have received 2 estimates in the $18-$21K range for the two engines. We are on the East end of Long Island, NY. Has anyone else had this done and does the price sound about right?

Breakdown is approximately as follows:

Parts - $4-8K (one included new risers and mixing elbows, the other didn't)
Labbor - $12-14K (60+ hours)
FYI - I had a rough verbal quote here in Eastern CT for my two 2001 6lp-ste's and it was ~$30K. (not pulling engines but working in place for injectors, coolers, belts, etc etc. They ended up being too busy so I'm chipping away at the engines myself. Injectors are this year....

All the mechanics in our area are very busy, so they can quote some pretty high prices.
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”