• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Composting toilet options for A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Composting toilet options for A25

Post by Nancy »

>>5. The limited electrical draw fully justifies the thousands spent on rewiring, new batts, functional bigazz switches, etc.<<

WillieC, I'm still chuckling over this.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

We no longer own the WillieC, she has a new name, but she will always be our first boat. I can't quite let go of the name yet.

We, through a series of misfortunes and timing, are now owners of a Nordic Tug 26'. Only one foot bigger, but in both length AND width. Huge difference. Got to say, though, the head isn't that much bigger, but it doesn't have the electrical panel in it. Hope I didn't mislead you, Tribologist.

You are on the right track with a decent plywood base. On the Albin, we installed a porta-potty with a transfer pump attached to the MSD, which effectively enlarged our holding tank by five gallons. I also kept the manual whale pump for open sea dumping and of course the deck fitting for pump out. In retrospect, we'd have done better with a composting toilet. No more worrying about finding a pump out. And much more room for storage.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Ulf,

Scarcity of pump out facilities no discharge zones (which actually includes no dumping urine) is a problem, especially in Canada. Can't comment much on composting heads. We went the route of upgrading to a 20 gallon holding tank where the batteries used to be, relocating batteries to the storage locker under the starboard bench seat. Switching to a composter now ain't gonna happen since we will be selling La Dolce Vita later this year. That will mark the end of 26 years of sailing and ownership of a series of 6 different trailerable boats, 5 sailboats plus the Albin, over the years. If we ever do the Rideau it'll be on a Le Boat charter. Anyway, as you know one of the few downsides of Albin 25s' is the cramped size of the head compartment. Now what I've done to extend the range of the holding tank on our Groco head up to 4 or 5 days is for me to use a pee bottle (with a composter you have to separate urine anyway). Then when it comes time to do a #2 I use the bottle of saved #1 to aid in flushing, followed by smaller volume of regular pumped flush of course. That lessens the number of actual flushes needed. The Admiral flushes directly since I wouldn't make her suffer the indignity of peeing into a jar or other distaff suitable container. The practical capacity of the 20 gallon holding tank is closer to 16 gallons, perhaps as few as 15 to as much as 18 gallons at most, subtracting the 2 inches at the top inlet & the 1 inch at the bottom outlet that never completely drains. 16 gallons x 2 qts per flush x 4 qts per gallon = 32 flushes divided by 8 flushes per day = 4 days or more between pump outs. That's about the best we can do. Three miles offshore on a coastal cruise like out to Catalina Island we can drain the tank overboard.

DSCN3420.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Pegasus
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Palestine TX

Post by Pegasus »

If you want to keep it simple, this is the one I went with.

https://myboxio.com/products/boxio-toilet
"Skeeter"
1971 Albin 25 #748
Home Base- Palestine TX USA
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Pegasus wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:43 am If you want to keep it simple, this is the one I went with.

I was looking on a few of the bag ones. Mostly the Swedish Separett Tiny but i figure ine more like the classic ones that has a auger would be better. We will find out. Picked up a sheet of 5/8 marine plywood for a new floor board but lately i been focused on the hot water heater and pump
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Pegasus
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Palestine TX

Post by Pegasus »

tribologist wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:12 am
Pegasus wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:43 am If you want to keep it simple, this is the one I went with.

I was looking on a few of the bag ones. Mostly the Swedish Separett Tiny but i figure ine more like the classic ones that has a auger would be better. We will find out. Picked up a sheet of 5/8 marine plywood for a new floor board but lately i been focused on the hot water heater and pump
We had a Natures Head composting toilet on our sailboat. The unit was ok but the auger function was a bit of a let down in my opinion. The way it is designed, the scraping function of the auger lets "material" build up along the walls and I had to go in and scrape the walls of the holding area manually. I like the simplicity of the Boxio style. Obviously the Boxio does not hold as much material as the Natures Head unit, but like anything else in boating, it's all about the compromises. Either way, in my opinion, I will take any compost unit over a conventional holding tank any day. By the way, that is a good looking install on the water heating unit.
"Skeeter"
1971 Albin 25 #748
Home Base- Palestine TX USA
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

We will see, this one has a auger from the bottom and a rod going diagonally down. It looks like it should keep things away from the sides. I’m also looking at adding a charcoal filter on the vent line and a splash proof vent.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”