• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Single Diesel Tank Vent ?

Albin's "power cruisers"
rmboelens
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mississippi

A27 Single Diesel Tank Vent ?

Post by rmboelens »

Hi,

New owner again who "enjoyed" the pleasure of lots of water in the fuel tank after rough crossing. Considering the amount of water in my filter and reviewing previous owner's notes, I'm thinking the water must be coming thru the diesel tank's vent line. The fill cap on deck has a solid looking seal so explored the vent.

I would have thought the tank's vent line would / should go upward before going to the tank. Looks like it dips straight down to the tank.

(She ran well for 2 days and tank was full and doubt there could be that much condensation).

I'm thinking I need a new hose run the goes upward to minimize the water coming in. Right track?

Thanks in advance and Happy Easter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Mark B.
1984 Albin 27 FC
Lehman 4D61
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Re: A27 Single Diesel Tank Vent ?

Post by sail149 »

Hi mark
Yes a simple higher loop would be correct .
Must have been quite the trip to get that much water in the vent . Could the water have been there all along since the boat is new to you?
This sketch is from the Uscg boatbuilders handbook
https://safeafloat.com/wp-content/uploa ... l-4-14.pdf
Cheers Warren
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
rmboelens
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mississippi

Post by rmboelens »

Thank you for confirming my thoughts on the vent. We did have some significant seas to navigate.
It is possible some of the water was there prior to departure although maintenance invoices show the previous owner (who passed away) had the fuel polished within the last six months and hadn’t used the boat since that time. They filled the tank at that time as well so wasn’t too concerned about that potential issue. It ran fine for 2 days (10 hrs) until we started getting into bigger seas.
That said, the yacht services company who supposedly did the work does not have a good reputation, Ive since discovered.

Thank you again for your response and photo
Mark B.
1984 Albin 27 FC
Lehman 4D61
slip31
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: labelle, fl

Post by slip31 »

My albin 27FC had twin tanks, and both vents went straight down into the tanks. Both tanks were were bad from water, one replaced, the other polished fuel that i did not get 10 miles on. I replaced the other and plumbed as the above diagram with a upper loop above the vent. No more problems. I always put upper loop 4"-6" fuel, water, waste tanks, never have problems. Cheers Steve

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”