• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Stern Light

Albin's "power cruisers"
cmoffatnc1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental, NC

A25 Stern Light

Post by cmoffatnc1 »

Two questions....Having trouble making a solid connection with bulb to illuminate, any tips? The spring seems to allow it to slide off the connector on the bottom center of the fixture.

And does anyone have a source for the glass tube that I broke while messing with it? Manufacturer or whatever?

Thanks.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: A25 Stern Light

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

That's a tough one. If I recall the bulbs are double ended "festoon" type. Should be a dimple in the spring connectors at the ends. I don't know, maybe solder?

On the lens what I did was cut a 1/16" thick scrap piece of stiff clear vinyl window material I had left over from my earlier canvas cockpit enclosure project.

tribologist is an amateur glass blower. Maybe he could make one for you?
sternlight.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
cmoffatnc1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cmoffatnc1 »

Thank you, thought about vinyl window material, was concerned about the heat of the bulb. No issues with that?
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Go to a junk store or your neighbor's yard and nab one of those LED solar powered backyard nightlights, Actually come to my house and grab one of MY neighbor's lights...

I found a busted one in the scrap pile of the homestead here and was able to make it work. Plastic is easy to futz with, you need the length right to make the contacts on the lamp work. I always kept an eye on it since it was tempermental. I think I made some gaskets too, nothing fancy.
cmoffatnc1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cmoffatnc1 »

I think I have found a custom glass company that will make a 2” tall, 2mm thick wall, 1 3/8” OD tube. I will let everyone know details if this works.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Making a tube from scratch is possible but a bit tedious to make a specific diameter and then grind to flat paralell after. If you are lucky you might find someone that has some 1-3/8 tubing but you can use uv resistent acrylic too. $25 at mcmaster. Tubing, 1/8" Wall Thickness, 1-3/8" OD, 1-1/8" ID, 6 Feet Long

https://www.mcmaster.com/8532K63
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Free. With lumpy light diffracting ridges. My neighbor's yard.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

cmoffatnc1 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:26 pm I think I have found a custom glass company that will make a 2” tall, 2mm thick wall, 1 3/8” OD tube. I will let everyone know details if this works.
If you find a source that is reasonable I’d be interested in obtaining one as well as mine has a crack in it. But still is serviceable. As far as the spring and bulb contact goes, it is tempermental, but I was able to switch out the bulb that was there with a led version.
cmoffatnc1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cmoffatnc1 »

Dieselram94, I have ordered the glass and will report back once it is received and I know it works. Can you share the information on the LED bulb you found?
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

cmoffatnc1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:48 am Dieselram94, I have ordered the glass and will report back once it is received and I know it works. Can you share the information on the LED bulb you found?
I will, I need to get under the winter cover and pull the bulb. I’ll get that done tomorrow
I appreciate info on the glass.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Issues with vinyl windows & heat? Really, how often & for how long does anyone run at night? Anchor lights should be separate from running lights.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
cmoffatnc1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cmoffatnc1 »

Sorry DA, my worry was vinyl window material 1/2” from a very hot bulb. Our anchor light is separate from our running lights. The good news is I found a solution and have a new glass lens.
cmoffatnc1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cmoffatnc1 »

This company was able to make the 1 3/8" OD x 2" x 2mm glass cylinder that is a perfect fit for the stern light. It arrived in less than a week.

Great Glass, LLC
2040 Telegraph Road
Wilmington, DE 19808
GreatGlas@GreatGlas.com
302-998-4400
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

I haven’t forgotten to get the bulb info. It’s just been storming here for several days including loosing power again.
I’ll be posting the bulb info soon
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

Ok, I’m very late getting this info posted.
Here are some pictures and a link to amazon where I got the bulbs. These LED bulbs also fit the oem interior lights.

Serundo Auto 578 Led Car Bulb 211-2 Led Car Bulb 41mm 42mm 1.65in 212-2 Led Car Bulb for Car Map Light Dome Light, 22SMD 3014 Chips 6000k White Super Bright Interior Led Car Bulb,Pack of 6pcs https://a.co/d/9fPBzQN

Also when installing the bulb it is necessary to add dielectric grease and also orientate the bulb so it shines out of the lens and not backwards or to the side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”