• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel Consumption

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Fuel Consumption

Post by RobS »

Most of you had read my post from the end of 2007 of my trip home from Wickford RI to Center Moriches NY (South Shore Long Island).

When I topped off in Wickford on the morning of, I took 51 gallons and she was full. The gauge read just better than 3/4's. So one of the fixes I did this off-season was to remove the rear deck and check the sender. I was going to calibrate it but since it was $50 to replace it I decided on replacement since it's not readily accessible if the need arises. It's the Centroid capacitance electronic sender. It's calibrated out of the tank for "E" and then you install it in the tank and then when topped off you calibrate the "F".

So once I splashed I went around to the fuel dock and topped off so I could calibrate the sender and reset and seal the deck. It took only 49 gallons.

The week of I had planned the trip with paper charts and had estimated it at 110 miles. I just went onto geodistance.com and mapped out the trip, my estimation was right on. See the attached link.

On 49 gallons, 108 statute miles is 2.2 mpg or 95 nautical miles yields 1.9 mpg. As I had described in the report, the trip included some 3 to 4 (and 5) foot head seas. There were also some no wake canals through the Hamptons as can be seen on the map. Otherwise we cruised about 18knots. Couldn’t be happier with the efficiency and performance of the 6LP.

Here’s the link to the geodistance map of my trip.

http://www.geodistance.com/?id=20234
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fuel Economy

Post by RicM »

Rob:

BTW, Toy-riffic looks terrific in your photos. We are starting our second season with "Time after Time", and while the current fuel costs were just a blip on the horizon when I started looking for the ultimate boat in '06 I feel very smart now. I wanted something comfortable, green, that could fish and cruise at 18-20kts. The 28TE is about the only boat in the price range that can do it all. A lot of folks around here are cutting back their plans for the summer, and fuel costs are the talk of the dock. We, however, are planning more and longer trips. It might take us a little longer to get there, but we are still going. A lot of folks will be sitting at the dock or up on the hard this year. Those triple 250 outboard rigs don't look as sexy in '08. I'm splashing tomorrow!
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Ric, Thanks for the compliments. My search criteria was the same as yours and I guess that makes sense since we ended up with identical boats. Even though it takes us longer, we are getting there in comfort and with class. I was out Friday saving important local routes into the GPS. I was in a short sleeve shirt at the helm doing 20 knots. Guys on the hook and drift fishing were all bundled up. Not to mention the boat and the gear on it will stay together better not being pounded all day at high speeds.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Fuel Economy

Post by jcollins »

RicM wrote:Rob:

BTW, Toy-riffic looks terrific in your photos. We are starting our second season with "Time after Time", and while the current fuel costs were just a blip on the horizon when I started looking for the ultimate boat in '06 I feel very smart now. I wanted something comfortable, green, that could fish and cruise at 18-20kts. The 28TE is about the only boat in the price range that can do it all. A lot of folks around here are cutting back their plans for the summer, and fuel costs are the talk of the dock. We, however, are planning more and longer trips. It might take us a little longer to get there, but we are still going. A lot of folks will be sitting at the dock or up on the hard this year. Those triple 250 outboard rigs don't look as sexy in '08. I'm splashing tomorrow!
I spent the day yesterday cleaning up the interior, scrubing the cockpit and playing with the new GPS.
Two slips over from me there was a nice 30+ family cruiser bleach bottle on a lift. Around 11:00 two couples showed up with coolers and stuff. I figured they were going out for a ride since it was a nice day. I asked the guy that seemed to be the captain if they were going out. He replied that they were not because of the expense of running twin 454s. I can understand that but they did not even lower the boat into the water. They sat on that boat all afternoon, enjoying life, on the lift! Seemed a little odd to me. :shock:
Maybe I just don't understand marina life since I don't keep my boat in one anymore.
That aside, it's amazing how many guys stop and chat about the Albin.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Fuel Economy

Post by Pitou »

jcollins wrote:[I spent the day yesterday cleaning up the interior, scrubing the cockpit and playing with the new GPS.
Two slips over from me there was a nice 30+ family cruiser bleach bottle on a lift. Around 11:00 two couples showed up with coolers and stuff. I figured they were going out for a ride since it was a nice day. I asked the guy that seemed to be the captain if they were going out. He replied that they were not because of the expense of running twin 454s. I can understand that but they did not even lower the boat into the water. They sat on that boat all afternoon, enjoying life, on the lift! Seemed a little odd to me. :shock:
Maybe I just don't understand marina life since I don't keep my boat in one anymore.
That aside, it's amazing how many guys stop and chat about the Albin.
Well boys ...... Glad to own my Albin. An afternoon in a boat lift. :lol: I need water under my feet even if at the dock! That vision makes me want to go burn fuel.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

John mentioning the word lift made me remember this from the other day: As you may or may not know, I had to replace the tranny this winter. After Toy-Rific was lowered down into the water and allowed to warm-up a bit I went to put it into gear and pull out of the slip and at that EXACT instant the guy operating the lift cranked and started the lift. Well let me tell you, my f@#$ing heart stopped thinking that noise came from down below!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Went out for a cruise today. The weather was grey and cool but the canvas was up so we were warm.
Come back to the marina and what do I see? Yup, same couples. Sitting there on the lift. They had their dog with them this time. That broke the ice. My dog ran over and introduced himself. He looked back at me as if he was saying "she sure is purty".

Robs - you reminded me that this yard also has high and dry storage. They dropped a boat last week. I wasn't there but the owner said it sounds like someone dropped a dumpster.
John
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dumpster

Post by RicM »

May I ask, what was the outcome of the dropped boat incident? IMHO if boats were meant to fly they'd come equipped with landing gear.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium

Re: Dumpster

Post by jcollins »

RicM wrote:May I ask, what was the outcome of the dropped boat incident? IMHO if boats were meant to fly they'd come equipped with landing gear.
The outcome was not good. It's a 32 center console w/ twin outboards. Fell on the center line. Also damaged both motors. Pretty much a total. If there are any pics to be found I'll post. I don't think the owner would want me bugging him for pictures right now. Maybe after he gets a new boat.
John
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Guess it was a fork-lift not a travel-lift? With the price of fuel and the flat market for sellers the insurance company's are sure to be quick with the red flags....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dropped

Post by RicM »

Sounds awful. Reminds me of those shots of the boat with 3 guys on it when the sling broke that were all over the forums last year (check the guy in the transom door). I always try to be there at launch just to be the witness if things go awry. I think I'm going in today if the weather is not too bad, and I can't be there. I'll be thinking about it all day.

Ric Murray

Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

RobS wrote:Guess it was a fork-lift not a travel-lift? With the price of fuel and the flat market for sellers the insurance company's are sure to be quick with the red flags....
Yes. Fork lift. I was watching them move around Saturday. It makes me nervous.
John
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

jcollins wrote:Yes. Fork lift. I was watching them move around Saturday. It makes me nervous.
They make me nervous too - weight distribution is too inconsistent with different boat styles. I don't understand why they don't wrap a heavy strap over the gunnels and under the forks to secure the boat, keep it from rocking, etc.

John, was Afterglow launched with a Fork Lift?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

John, was Afterglow launched with a Fork Lift?
No. They used a travel lift with well-worn straps. :shock:
Although this yard has a bunch of really nice folks I don't think I'll be back. The facilities are dated, it isn't very clean, and there is no security. This was the first winter that I was worried about the boat being broken into. (did not happen) The service was good but no work orders with expected completion dates were written. Just a bunch of good old boys that "get to it when they get to it"
John

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”