• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fly Fishing

Moderator: RobS

Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fly Fishing

Post by Capt Ron »

I've done my share of freshwater fly fishing for various species of fish and am now interested in pursuing some saltwater fishing by fly.
My targets will be stripers and bluefish in the(hopefully) 5-20 lb class.
I'd like to spend around $300 for the outfit. I've been told a 9 or 10 weight class would be appropriate. How about some help with brands of rods and reels in that price range.
Owner of 28' TE
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Saltwater Fly Fishing

Post by RicM »

Yes a 9-10 wt rod is where you want to be. 10's are, all things being equal, a good deal more expensive for some reason, and noticebly heavier to handle. I like a 9. When fly fishing, fighting capability is more in the rod than the reel compared to conventional setups. Spend proportionately more on the rod than the reel unless your budget is unlimited. As in most things you get what you pay for. Big names like Loomis, Sage can't go wrong unless you spend too much. Be aware that higher modulous graphite (the most expensive line of rods from any manufacturer) is also the most delicate and tightly wound. If you are going to leave your fly rod in a hot boat cabin or car, in a rod rack with other gear rather than wrapped in it's own rod case in a silk sleeve, drop down to the next best graphite (usually IM6). It's really not that much different in casting ability but MUCH more forgiving of nicks, heat, and other forms of mistreatment.I am a "recovering" catch and release fly fisherman, who has substituted a serious addiction to light tackle bait fishing and Accurate reels. I still carry a 9wt with a fast sinking line for bluefish blitzes in the fall though.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Take a look at temple fork fly rods. They have all price ranges and weights. http://templeforkflyrods.com/index.html
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Decision

Post by Capt Ron »

Rick and Russel, thanks for the input. I finally chose the St. Croix Reign in the 9 weight and Cabela's CSR reel with a spare spool for either floating or sinking lines. I haven't wet a line yet but the outfit performs well in the back yard. The boat was launched may 2nd, trolled a little and caught 10 bluefish on stretch 25's. The fly rod's next!
Owner of 28' TE

Return to “Fishing”