• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

That Vibration 28TE 95

cahoots5

That Vibration 28TE 95

Post by cahoots5 »

Well I just completed 100+ miles this last week end. I was most of the time running 2800 RPM and per my flowscan burning 10-11 GPH at 16-17 knots. the problum is I have vibration at 2800 RPMs and much more at lower RPMs from about 1200- 2600. I have hade the propeller reworked and they asure me that all is well with the prop. At the stuffing box I due see the shaft moving up and down a little, I have checked the alinement with a feeler gage and all seems right. I called Peninsuler (300hp) today thinking its a injector problum?. They are great and always there to help. They asked if have you checked the prop., is the prop shaft bent?. So have you also had this viberation?. My boat is on a Trailer, I can pull the shaft this winter. install a dripless shaft seal or ?? injectors or ? how much vibration due you have. have fixed the problum ?. Steve on the West Coast. Thanks for your advice
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

worn "cutlass bearing"

Post by Pitou »

The wobble in your shaft sounds similar to an issue I had to resolve this past spring. Turned out to be the "cutlass bearing" in the stern tube. I was experiencing more vibration at both ends of the rpm's as well. My mechanic had noticed it when out for a ride the previous fall. Pulled the prop and the bearing casting and sure enough. Not a bad fix.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

If you're experiencing shaft vibration, I can assure you it's NOT related to the injectors. It could be that the shaft is bent, or that the propeller is damaged or for some reason out of balance. Most often, it's because the shaft is out of alignment, but you're saying you already checked that. Perhaps it would be good to have a professional check the alignment before going to the effort of pulling the shaft?
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

You probably already know this, but you must check the shaft alignment with the boat in the water. The trailer or any support on the hard can cause the hull to distort slightly.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
cahoots5

Thanks for all your help

Post by cahoots5 »

I plan to pull the prop shaft, as I want to install a dripless shaft seal, and cutless bearing at the same time and rule out the shaft being bent. I have only hade Bella 1.5 years and I'm not sure of the past damage.
Thanks for your help Steve
cahoots5

Think I found the problum

Post by cahoots5 »

I pulled the prop. shaft today ( not that much fun ) and I think its the shaft flange, it was smashed in lots of places, this will cause alinment problums for sure, some one has hammered it on and off in the past on the cupling face. I will replace it. I will take the shaft to have the runout checked and order the other parts needed. there is still time to use the boat this year, its still nice on the West Coast. Steve
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

LOL, yeah, a smashed flange will definitely cause alignment problems! Good luck.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”