• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Keeping Prop Clean

dougstinchcum

Keeping Prop Clean

Post by dougstinchcum »

Does anyone have a proven formula (other than diving and scraping) for keeping the prop free of barnicales, etc.?????? Any proven chemical application?? I keep the boat in the Chesapeake Bay.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Check this link to a previous discussion on the subject. Various paints will work for a while but the best thing is to use your boat at least twice per week. http://albinowners.net/aog/viewtopic.ph ... ight=stove
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Barnicales

Post by Capt Ron »

Barnicales don't stick to moving objects....use your boat often!
Owner of 28' TE
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

The prop is the one part of your boat that moves through the water fast enough that it should never accumulate barnacles. But yeah, you have to use it to prevent them.

If, for some reason, you can't use your boat regularly, they do make special clear bottom paint that is designed or underwater metal like props and trim tabs. It won't induce corrosion and will have a marginal impact on growth. But it still requires occasional use to prevent buildup. Also, it wears off much faster than your bottom paint, so after about 6-9 months, it doesn't do much good anymore.
RWhite

Re: Keeping Prop Clean

Post by RWhite »

dougstinchcum wrote:Does anyone have a proven formula (other than diving and scraping) for keeping the prop free of barnicales, etc.?????? Any proven chemical application?? I keep the boat in the Chesapeake Bay.
I used a new product called Prop Speed. It a two part application, an etching Primer base, then a top coat of the clear coat.
Worked great, when boat was hauled in November, it was perfectly clean. Had some ware and will require another coat this season.
Expensive at $200 for 250 ML, one application, but works great, even gained a couple of knots in speed.
bobhhprop
Deckhand
Deckhand

Prop Speed

Post by bobhhprop »

For the expence Prop Speed works well. Apply to prop, shaft, rudder and strut. Heard of gear going several years without growth
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Doug

Now there are at least two 28 TE's named Osprey on the Bay.

Keeping running gear clean in my experience is accomplished by:
- frequent use (it's true that barnacles will not adhere to props when in use)
- docking in polluted waters (e.g. Houston Ship Channel), or
- dockage on a lift.

I currently use a lift. Until about five years ago I tried various coatings and was unsuccessful. Have used the Houston ship channel for larger units and that was pretty good. at the time Perhaps the newer coatings are more helpful.

Regards

Don
Don

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”