• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Block Island, RI

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Block Island, RI

Post by Denis »

We just got back from a week in Block Island. I can't think of any place more relaxing to spend some time.
We tried to get out there for two days, one day the wind was blowing 30 and there were small craft warnings, the next day we were socked in with fog all day. We made an attempt but turned back, could not see a hundred yards. We left the next morning at six to hopefully beat some of the traffic that was sure to arrive there for the 4th of July celebration. We were lucky enough to pick up a mooring and that made the week very relaxing, let the wind blow!
Everything work perfectly on the boat, also had a new dingy and engine to play with. We especially like to take a few trips around the great salt pond and look at some of the boats anchored, moored and docked there. Everything from hand made sailing boats to 165' yachts and everything in between are there for all to see and enjoy. There were several Albin 28's there, and John there was a soft top there, there were also a couple of 32+2 and I think a 36' Albin there. We were not lucky enough to catch the owners on board while we driving by, we really wanted to get on to see the 32'+2.
On our first day there, there was a sailboat moored nearby that had two women on board that were giving an X-rated show to the men on board. Needless to say they had the attention of all the boats nearby. I thought it was going to be kind of wild on that boat but not another thing after that first day. I guess they were a little excited to be there also!
On sunday, while we were at one of the marinas visiting a friend, we noticed some people gathering at the end of the dock. We went to take a look only to see a very major fire happening at the marina next door. This particular marina brings in all the huge ships and yachts. The fire started in the gererator building and the building was completly on fire. The wind that day was blowing about 20 to 30 but luckly it was blowing in the only direction that there were no other buildings in its path. On each side are hotels not to mention the marina with probably 200 huge boats. I later heard that someone from the marina went into the burning building to shut off the valves for the 20,000 gallon fuel tanks, and he was badly burned in the process. My boat was probably a quarter of a mile from this marina and the boat was covered with soot. Luckly I shut the windows before I left for the day.
The weather was beautiful all week and the ride home was very easy, 3' to 4' rollers and the thunderstorms held off until we arrived home. All in all it was a beautiful week. Denis
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

We spent a little time at Block Island last year about this time, also anchored in Great Salt Pond. We happened to anchor near a 28 & there was also a Compton 33 not too very far away. Unfortunately we neither had much time or a dinghy so 'cocktail cruising' was out.

1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Denis,
Sounds like a great week! I've never been up that way but there's always time. Perhaps we can make it next year. You don't run into many soft-tops. (or topless like your neighbors) Where are the pictures? I'm assuming you had a few Red Stripes on Red Stripe.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “Cruising”