• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hull slap (while sleeping)

mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Hull slap (while sleeping)

Post by mhanna »

Having used the 28TE for several overnights this year I found that while sleeping there is a slap (or loud lapping) of the water to the hull even with very little water action outside. At first I did not give it much thought but the wife pointed it out as well. After talking to others I think we have narrowed it down to the aggressive reverse chine that the 28 has. It provides an area in the front towards the cabin where when the boat drops (or the water comes up) the chine area hits the water with a "clap".
After some searching I came across an article where someone else had this problem but on a Nortic Tug and filled in the chine with fiberglass. He had a nice step by step with pics but I am not willing to go that crazy.
http://www.ct-shoreline.com/nentoa/idea ... .slap.html
Someone else used those floating noodles to stop it by sticking them in under the chine.

I posted this to see if anyone else had this problem and to see if anyone has came up with an idea to deal with it. Dont get me wrong its just annoying, not a big issue like the noisy cycling refrigerator :evil: just figured I would ask.

Thanks
Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Matt,
I know what you mean.
First, we had the wrong pillows. Just throw pillows instead of nice goose down pillows. The throw pillows turned into "cement bags" and then the hull slap became an annoyance.
Gettting the right pillows has made a difference
I think that ear plugs will be my next solution.

Many friends find that after a while (several weekends) the sound can become soothing......but not for us so far.

That's the difference between an Albin and true downeaster. There are no hard chines on the downeasters to have that slap.

I've seen the noodle idea, but that will be my last resort.
Last edited by Cape Codder on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I know what you mean. The first 2 or 3 nights on the hook I could not sleep. Cape Codder is right. Finding the right pillows helped alot. A few drinks before turning in solved it.

Now I don't even think about it. Of course, now that you mention it, it will be bothering me again. Time for another drink.

What do you do with the noodles? Jump in the water and push them under?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Fan, get a fan....can't sleep without a fan. I even have a portable battery operated fan that I take into hotels with me......sleep like a baby. :D
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

chiefrcd wrote:Fan, get a fan....can't sleep without a fan. I even have a portable battery operated fan that I take into hotels with me......sleep like a baby. :D
That's the ticket Chief! I use a fan or one of those "soothing sounds" machines. Mix that with John's "drink" method and you're all set!! 8)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Good ideas from all. A fan, I use one at home all the time. I will find one for the boat (maybe someone makes a 110 & 12 V unit) A good pillow (that always helps) and a few drinks (thats the best idea of all) :D
Im sure I will get more used to it as time goes on.
John, the noodle idea is just what you said. Put them under the chines. see the link http://www.ct-shoreline.com/nentoa/idea ... enter.html

The refrig was the loudest of all, I was planning on pulling it out to see if I could cushion the mounts or maybe the compressor is hitting something. I just turn it off before turning in but cant leave well enough alone. Has anyone had luck working on it ?

Thanks again for those ideas, why shouldn't the boat be as comfortable as possible....

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”