• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 28 TE Fuel sending unit

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Dale5050
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Punta Gorda FL.

Albin 28 TE Fuel sending unit

Post by Dale5050 »

I have a 2000 Albin 28 TE . My fuel gauge pegs out like its full all the time. I pulled of rear deck and and ran some tests and it looks like need new sending unit
The one the came with the boat is a Precision , I could not find model number nor could I find on line. Has anybody had luck with different manufucture if so what is the manufacture and what model number.
julio
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Tampa Fl

Re: Albin 28 TE Fuel sending unit

Post by julio »

hi my name is julio im a Marine tech feel free to msg me for some help. i had to trouble shoot my fuel gauge as well but a totally different problem then what you are running into. sounds to me that you fuel sender its is grounding out and thats why your gauge is pegged to the right also you might want check the fuel gauge sender wire that connects your fuel gauge to the sender on the fuel tank. if that wire which should be a (pink) wire is shorted to ground or grounded that will also cause you gauge to peg right. sometimes the gauge itself could be a issue so try and rule that out with running and new wire to the sender on the fuel tank to make sure its not your gauge malfunctioning.
julio
Mate
Mate

Post by julio »

its kinda rare for a fuel sender unit to fail. normally the float on the inside or the variable resistor can go bad but its rare
julio
Mate
Mate

Post by julio »

if you are looking to get a new unit normally just got to get the dimension and orientation of the old unit to properly fit a new one but brand wise its just fuel sender with a float im sure you are not limited on what to install
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southern California

Post by Tom Un »

You might want to try the Maretron TLM sender - I'm thinking on going that route.
Dale5050
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Dale5050 »

I will start by running new wires to make sure I don`t have a short , and checking the ohmes on the sender today. Thanks
Dale5050
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Dale5050 »

I want to thank you guys for the help ,it looks like I got lucky after checking the three wires I found the problem.
mars075
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: None yet

Post by mars075 »

What is the best way to replace fuel sending unit on Albin 28 raised engine. The 2 suggestions were: 1 remove fiber glass back deck, and it will expose the f tank and sending unit, which seems like a big job
and 2 if I can locate the unit, cut a hole thru the deck and cut out a circle above the unit, which seems reasonable if I can locate the unit first.
I would appreciate any suggestions

mike m
Patrickgoggin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Beach

Post by Patrickgoggin »

It’s a pretty simple job. Take the back deck off and it will be easy to replace. I did it a couple months ago and it is pretty easy. You will have to clean out the old sealant but it is not that big of a job. You also need to remove the drain hoses for the aft hatches.

The option of finding the sensor and then drilling a new hole in the deck for an access plate is not reasonable and will not be any easier in my opinion.

My original sender was manufactured by centroid products and they have a test procedure on their website if that is the manufacturer of your sender.

I ended up having a failed internal regulator in the sender and just purchased a new one from them for about $70. It works great now.
Patrick

2000 Albin 28 TE “Phantom”
1978 34’ Californian LRC “Spirit” (Prev)
mars075
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: None yet

Post by mars075 »

I just stumbled on your post re sending unit. I had a similar problem and i replace the unit, but not to the original style, but with a ( reed) style
which has no arm to it, its just a straight sensor measured to the depth of the fuel tank less a half inch. I paid no attention to the original manufacture

mike m

Return to “Albin Maintenance”