• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 28 or Grady White Sailfish 28??

FHomans

Albin 28 or Grady White Sailfish 28??

Post by FHomans »

I am currently trying to decide on which boat to purchase, a used Albin 28 or a Grady White Sailfish 28. I live on the midcoast area of Maine and would use the boat for mostly day cruising wth my two children and/or friends. Several overnights a summer would also be anticipated. I have owned a Grady White before and am currently without a boat. My concerns are fuel consumption for the Grady and handling and engine noise and maintenance for the Albin. I am not that mechanically inclined and would enjoy a boat that is safe to cruise the coast of Maine that makes economic sense in this day and age! Other questions I have are-How many people can the Albin safely have onboard for a day cruise?
Are chairs adequate seating in the stern area while underway? I would appreciate any insight from this knowledgable group of Albin enthusiasts and experts! Thank you.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

The picture below doesn't show everone onboard but I've taken 10-11 people (and 2 dogs) for the Bristol RI 4th of July fireworks display on my 28.

With the flushdeck model, there is plenty of room for chairs. On the engine box model, the chairs come standard - sit on the engine box cover.

Like you, I have very limited mechanical abilities. I have been extremely lucky to have a very good mechanic take care of almost everything for me. It may cost me more than the "do it yourself" guys but I enjoy the heck out of the boat and don't worry about if I messed something up.

Fuel economy on the 28 is one of it's geatest bragging rights. My average consumption for the year (100 hrs/yr) is around 6 gph. To be fair, that includes a little trolling time but not a lot.

Best of luck with your search. Feel free to bombard the group with questions.

Jack
Last edited by JackK on Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

The Grady along with other hulls were in my preliminary search, but with the accomodations, stability and fuel economy of the Albin the rest is history. Handling around the dock ..... it's just different. Coming from twin outboards there was an adjustment period. And I always say ... if you can .. "pointy end in". Backing into a slip with current, wind a single screw, well it's not always pretty. My slip finger is to port backing in. The bow thruster helps immensely.

I carry two fold up chairs for the cockpit and along with the engine box, a cooler and cover boards there is plenty of room for all. Remember this is still a 28 foot boat ....... comfortable for 4 - 6 in my opinion, but as Jack I've had up to 10 or 11 for 4th of July festivities or being the shuttle service to the beach. My average fuel consumption this season 3.3 gph. Many hours on the troll and cocktail chill down cruises along with a few runs to Jeffries, Isles of Shoals & Stellwagen chasing tuna, but unfortuanately pretty much whale watching :oops: .

Take your time in your search and visit a few boats and ask questions of the AOG. There is a good helpful group here.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Welcome to the board!
That said, I love that Grady. Almost bought one, had already comitted to the sale. The only thing that made me hesitate were the twin outboards.

THEN...I found the Albin. Like others here 4-6 guests is comfortable for cruising. I have also had up to 10 for fireworks. At the last raft-up we had 15 on and off all day. I spent most of my time that day on the bow. :)

Also, like others, my season average was 4-5 GPH. Give yourself at least two seasons to relearn docking. I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to that. All my other boats were I/Os.
Read the flush deck vs. engine box sticky on this page. Good information there.

Welcome and hope to see another AOG burgee flying on your boat,
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
FHomans

Post by FHomans »

Thank you for the responses and the picture as well as the welcome to the site. I'm learning more and more as I read further into the posts here. Hearing your experienced answers helps a lot. Another question has come to mind.... As I am shopping for a used 28, should I be looking more for the 300 or 315 Yanmar? I know there are also Cummins diesels but have heard that they can be a bit louder than the Yanmar. Again, thank you.

Fritz
Camden, Maine
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

It sounds like you know what you are going to be doing with the boat and that is a great start.
As several have already mentioned 4-6 people is ok (John, I hear ya about hiding on the bow :D )but it can transport a dozen if need be.
I have been on a twin outboard Grady a few times and it is a good boat, safe and strong. The Albin does not drive anything like it though.
I would have to say one point to consider is speed, and that equals time. If you have a long trip it sometimes feels like the Albin could use some more speed. BUT when knowing the cost of fuel its easy to remind myself that a little extra driving time makes up for the $s.
Im sure we all have friends with dual engine gas boats that just dont go out on them because of the costs.

Sorry not to have a solid answer but there is not one answer for everybody. I can recommend that if you are unfamiliar with any boat, try to get a ride on them. Before I bought mine I found a charter captain who had one and hired him for a full day of fishing... got a good feel for the boat and lots of good info...

Best of luck

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

I have owned 2 Gradywhites, and 3 Albins.The best way to explain it is the Gradywhite's are like sport cars, and the Albins are like comfortable cruisers.
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

I can't add much more than what's been said all ready, but we moved up from a Grady 228 to the Albin 28TE. Other Grady's were in the search, but I won the argument with the old man! (one of the few I've ever one).

He wanted something that him and mom could comfortable spend a night/weekend on and yet still have excellent inshore (and moderate offshore) fishing capabilities. I argued that although the length of a Grady may increase, the ratio of beam to length decrease. In other words the beam does not increase proportionally and your still left with a cramped & narrow interior.

I also asked, why would you want two outboards on the back of a 25-28' Grady when you can have a single screw diesel with all the added benefits of having a diesel engine? Of course, cost of a diesel was an issue, but this was easily rationalized verses the increased lifespan and reliability of a diesel in addition to its decreased fuel consumption (especially compared to dual outbords and their consumption).

If your looking for economics, a single diesel is your answer. If your looking for a 'downeast' type hull - Albin is you answer.
I've comfortably taken 7 people and a dog on our boat. We use two marine fold up chairs for additional seating aft under low-moderate cruise conditions.

I've said it many times before here on this board, and I'll say it again. These commercial sport fishers (Grady, Whaler, etc.) are approaching 40' or more in length and placing close to 1000HP on the stern (triple outboards) at a price tag in excess of $225K.

Who buys these???????????????? :shock:

P.S. My experience on Gradys usually involved lots of pounding in semi-rough conditions if the handler didn't really know how to adjust to the seas. The 28TE plows through waves without the feeling the boat is going to fall apart underneath you. I think in Maine, you'd be more happy with the Albin!
FHomans

Post by FHomans »

Thank you, again, for your insight. Irish, Matt, Elizabeth, I appreciate your experienced voices! I also would like something that my parents, who are not boat people, will enjoy and feel comfortable on. I love the look of the Albin and the more I am learning, the more I am feeling confident about the Albin as the boat of choice for us. My children are 8 and 11 and safety is an issue as well. We are also part fish and the swim platform will come in might handy...even in the waters in Penobscot Bay! Now, to find a good, used 28.....
FHomans

Post by FHomans »

Another question....is there a significant difference in years of the boats that I should be looking at? Are boats in the 1997 to 2001 era similar in construction?

Fritz
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

If you want fuel economy, reliability, and ease of maintenance, there is no better option than an inboard diesel.
fisham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Albin vs. Grady white

Post by fisham »

I have a 2003 flush deck 28 in Belfast! I would be happy to talk to you about the boat if you wish. At present she is in the shed at the Belfast boatyard storage facility. I would be happy to let you see it if you are interested as well. It is a great boat, and perfect for the Maine waters. It is powered with the Yanmar 315 and uses about 7 to 8 gallons an hour cruising comfortably at 18 to 20 knots. We can go from Belfast to Stonington in about an an hour and a quarter. The best part is that because of the skeg, lobster pots are a lot less concern than an open prop would be. Our boat is the newport edition which has among other perks a padded stern seat with a back rest running almost the width of the stern. We find the boat extremely with 6 adults on board as we carry two folding chairs as well, that store where the engine used to be. I hope this is helpful.
tiramisu te28
belfast, maine
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I love my 28TE

Post by RicM »

Just finished my first season with a '03 28 TE Engine box. Averaged 3.2 GPH on 230 hours last season (that's right 230). The Yanmar 300 and 315 are the same engine, just rerated, The difference is the 300 hp version had an issue with the valve seals that can cause failure of the last (bow end) valve. It is only on certain ser # engines and if the boat you are looking at does not have the redesigned seals Yanmar pays for the majority of the upgrade (search this site for details).

It's a great boat, economical to run, great fish boat, and for Maine, don't forget the cozy pilot house. Put in a an automotive type heater in the pilot house and extend your season several months! We took my mother (79) and mother-in-law (84) to the Tall Ships and out for fireworks this season and they loved it! Stable, deep cockpit, feels really SAFE!
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Hmmm

Post by Legacy »

Hi Ric. I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that you are enjoying your boat and obsessing about Spring launch!
Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
FHomans

Post by FHomans »

Thanks for the info and pics, Ric. Again, this helps a lot and the pics really show the size of the boat with happy passengers on board.

Fisham-thank you for your offer andI would love to see your boat. What is the best way to contact you here, a click on the PM and leave my email there? I have heard from my Grady friends that Albins are too slow but an hour and fifteen from Belfast to Stonington is good time and faster than driving there!

This Albin Owners Group is full of good people willing to share their knowledge and experience and I appreciate what I am learning here. Thank you.

Fritz

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”