• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cracks in Gelcoat

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cracks in Gelcoat

Post by RicM »

I know that it's not unusual to see stress cracks in gelcoat, but these around the thu-hull kinda freaked me out. Should I be concerned?
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Merry Kate »

Hey Ric!

Looks like the thru-hull may have been a little over-tightened. I've had the same thing on some deck stantions since day 1 and can't detect any water intrusion or further problems. If you really have some time on your hands and some more warm days in RI you can remove the fitting and be sure the penetration is sealed well (glassed that is, not just caulked) - otherwise, would'nt worry too much about it.

BTW, nice picture. Did a professional photographer take that???

Ed
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cracks in Gelcoat

Post by RicM »

Ummm......yeah but it was with my little Nikon CoolPix point-and-shoot. Which proves my point that it ain't the camera it's the lighting!
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Hey Ric - Here's some more photos of the one I did not buy :D

The one I did buy had minor cracks like yours and I did notice this on several other boats. The surveyor, Ken Johnson, said that it's present on pretty much ever one that he has surveyed. It's mostly found on the smaller diameter fittings and appears they were just using too tight a fit. Plus a very thick gelcoat. We did soundings & moisture readings around them all and they all proved dry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cracks in Gelcoat

Post by RicM »

Rob:

That is a pretty gnarly looking boat. The worst one I looked at was a green & cream in Fall River, Ma. They guy was living in it (it was January). It was REALLY scary. It's amazing what can happen to beautiful boat in just a few years of neglect. How's your repair job going?
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cracks in Gelcoat

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:Rob:
How's your repair job going?
Ric,

Did you see my latest posts and pics in "General Discussion -> RobS /Toy-rific Christmas transmission" ?

I have since detailed the bildge and just received the new lip seal from Tides Marine. This is the seal that goes inside the Strong Shaft Seal. It was not dripping but no time like the present to change it: $38 and 10 minutes. I'm also changing the 3/8" water line and clamps plus 4 new clamps for the flex hose too. I should have the shaft back this week. Just need to pick-up the grade-8 bolts for the coupler and it's ready to drop back in. I'll upload a couple pics to that post real soon.

Thanks for asking!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Repairs

Post by RicM »

I guess I feel a little responsible for recommending that you run it home, and that it happened on that trip. I guess it would have happened anyway and you are handling it the right way. These boats are pretty much bulletproof when well maintained. The money that you are putting into it now will be returned in lower fuel costs. Believe me, the guys on my dock are sitting around polishing their twin outboards while I go out fishing. They burn 30 Gal/hr, my burn rate is more like 3-10 Gal/hour. LOL.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Yes, as I've stated before - if I was running it home this Spring and had this happen I would really have been upset. I can work hard and make more money but time is gone forever...

Fortunately when I made my purchase I stayed well within budget so the money for these repairs is not a total bank-breaker, not exactly what I thought I would be spending it on but so be it. I'm actually enjoying the project knowing that it is all going together right, all upcoming maintenance is done and I've acquired so much knowledge of the in's & out's of just about everything on this boat.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”