• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Exhaust Question

ron82056
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Danvers

Exhaust Question

Post by ron82056 »

I have another question. My boat is a 99 with an Yanmar 6PL-STE and I am still chasing black smoke. My exhaust does not have a dry elbow attached to the turbo, the wet elbow is connected to the turbo and pointing down at 45 degree angle. From there I have two 4” fiberglass 90’s, 6’ of 4’’ hose, a fiberglass muffler with a 4” inlet and 5’’ outlet. Do my sizes match what is installed in your boats.
ron82056
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Danvers

Re: Exhaust Question

Post by ron82056 »

Can anyone tell me what their Yanmar 6lp-ste exhaust system consists of? Pipe size, number of 90 degree bends, length, pictures would be great.
Thank You
Ron
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

I just replaced my stock Yanmar riser and wet elbow with the HOT1 kit from HDI Marine. Exits the turbo into the riser, then into the mixing elbow that is directly clamped to the riser, then 4" hose from the mixing elbow into the fiberglass muffler. Can't remember if there is a 90 in there or the hose just bends under the deck.

https://hdimarine.net/product/hot1-kit/

HDI1.jpg
HDI2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Your exhaust sounds like mine did. It needs a wet elbow because of the heat coming off the turbo btw. The black smoke is more than likely a injector issue or incomplete combustion. Do an oil sample after running for awhile. Look for the fuel dilution rate. An injector issue will show up as a higher concentration of fuel in the oil. Start there... make sure the turbo is clean as well.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”