• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

FUEL TANKS AND FUEL GAUGE

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
Pauld
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Newport Beach

FUEL TANKS AND FUEL GAUGE

Post by Pauld »

I have a 2007 Albin 35 CB with the Cummins QSB 59.L engine

Two related questions:

1. The boat has 2 fuel tanks which I think are about 125 gallons each. The tanks are connected to a "T" which then feeds the engine. Is it correct that the fuel in the tanks is self-leveling meaning that the fuel in each tank should be roughly the same?
2. The boat has the SmartCraft display. BUT...only the starboard tank is showing it has fuel. The port tank display says "unused". Does this imply that the boat only has one sending unit...on the starboard tank? I assume that reading only tells me what is in the starboard tank...and that the port tank would have roughly the same amount...so if the display says I have 50 gallons in the starboard tank, I also have 50 in the port tank?

I sure would appreciate some insight into what is "standard". Should there be 2 sending units? Is it possible I have one on the port tank but it's faulty?
Sanatee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solomons Island

Re: FUEL TANKS AND FUEL GAUGE

Post by Sanatee »

Sounds like same setup as my 32+2, and the tanks are slowly self leveling as long as you don't close the crossover. Fuel sender and gages are notoriously faulty...only one of mine works! Just double check by monitoring fuel burn rate and operating hours on a full tank.
Mike and Carol
1996 32+2 CB "Sanatee"

Solomons Island MD
Rondo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Apollo Beach, FL

Post by Rondo »

The two tanks are cross connected by a 2 inch hose, each end of which has a ball valve to close if need be, SO - yes, the two tanks should self level. Since they thought the tanks would be level, one fuel gauge should do the job. We also have a 2007 CB with the same engine. in our nearly 5 years we have never had an issue. It takes some time to grasp how the fuel gauge reading and the fuel remaining makes sense. In order to estimate how much fuel we will need to buy, we keep scrupulous track of engine hours. Our experience tells us that total hours time 7,5 is a pretty good guess at how much fuel was consumed. The total hours includes warm up time, idling from the dock to where you can run the boat at cruising speed, slow speed zones, etc. I know that at 2400 rpm, our cruise speed, the Cummins burns 10 or 11 GPH, but the average is 7.5 when making the educated guess at how much you'll need to top off at the fuel dock. Your mileage may vary applies.
Ron O
Pauld
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Newport Beach

Post by Pauld »

Thanks. Your explanation is very helpful

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”