• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

new holding tank and appurtenances

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

new holding tank and appurtenances

Post by gmberkley »

I know this subject has been dealt with, but the posts are all over the map. I have a 2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck, and thinking about removing the existing 10 gallon tank and installing the largest tank I can. I know RONCO was suggested as a place to buy the tank, but there's a bit more to it than simply buying a tank, does anyone have a listing or description of the items that need to be addressed to make this happen? I was thinking I would install a new generator pump also while I'm at it, is there a specific tank size that works well for this boat? Is the design the same, in other words, does the pump and the tank it attaches to stay the same, or does the tank and pump size need to change.......just seems like there is a bit more to this, pipe sizes, locations/elevations of the pipes, pump and related tank size and location, etc, etc.

I want and need to know exactly what I'm getting into for a winter project. I know Norseman hired someone to do his modification, I'd rather do it myself if possible, as money as always is an issue.

The ten gallon tank is a real inconvenience, and becoming a real nuisance, (PIA no pun intended), I spend more time pumping it out, than filling it up, why they built this boat with such a small tank amazes me...........

any guidance would be greatly appreciated,
Gregg M. Berkley 25 Ton Master USCG
2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck
Fairhaven, MA
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: new holding tank and appurtenances

Post by Nancy »

Hi Gregg -- what kind of toilet do you have? If all the components are working well, I wouldn't think there's any reason to change anything except the tank. Certainly that would be the case with a Vacuflush. The toilet manufacturer can probably provide guidance.

We installed a Trionic #2015 15 gal tank on our 28TE in 2013. We specified the locations of the ports - all of the top of the tank - and included a pickup tube. Trionic was excellent to work with.

Are you installing new hose? Raritan Sani/Flex is the best and easiest to work with.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

Hi Nancy,
Last year I replaced the toilet due to vacuum issues, I installed a SeaLand VacuFlush 140 Series toilet, and two years ago, I replaced every hose and thru hull fitting on the boat. The hose for the sanitary is a Trident 102, Kevin gave me the information needed for the types of hoses needed for all the replacements. I was hoping I can use the hose installed, as it was a bear to replace, but the new tank configuration may deem it necessary to replace it again, yuk!! is the 15 gallon tank the largest you could install? RONCO, which Kevin suggested has all kinds of shapes and sizes, but you went with Trionic..........did you replace the vacuum pump generator pump and duck bills during the modification?

thanks for responding Nancy.
Fairhaven, MA
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Our 28TE didn't have a Vacuflush. It had a Jabsco manual toilet, and we replaced it with a manual Raritan PHC. We replaced all the hoses with Trident 102. If we were doing this today, we'd use Raritan Sani/Flex as its permeation qualities are as good as the Trident, and it's a lot easier to work with.

We went with Trionic because Ronco didn't have the shape we needed. It's true that Trionic tanks are 1/4" thick and Ronco is 3/8", but for such a small tank, it doesn't matter (the concern is bulging). 15 gallons was the largest we could fit.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
elad9000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart FL

Post by elad9000 »

We added a 15 Gal waste tank on top of the existing 10 Gal tank for a total of 25 Gal capacity. All waste enters the top tank then flows down to the bottom tank until it is filled. Then the top tank gets filled until full or a pump out. All waste is discharged out of the bottom of the bottom tank either thru the thru hull fitting or vacuum pump out. Both tanks are vented to atmosphere. We added a tank level sensor to monitor the waste level. We also replaced 95% of the flexible waste hose with PVC pipe to virtually eliminate any smells from permeation thru the hose.

25 Gal Waste Tank.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Dale Purdy
enJOYCEment
2000 28 TE 1800 hrs
Stuart, FL
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

Thank you both Nancy and Dale,

Dale, what is the brand of your second tank.......and size, and I assume the tank level sensor is attached to both tanks, and what type of sensor did you use?

thanks again
Fairhaven, MA
elad9000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart FL

Post by elad9000 »

Gregg,

I knew someone would ask where I got the tank. Problem is, I do not remember. It was from a custom tank manufacturer though where I got to specify the port locations.

Here is a link to an off-the-shelf tank of a similar, ever so smaller, size:

https://www.plastic-mart.com/product/11 ... -wh-2014-1

The water level monitor is from Tech-Edge Manufacturing.

https://tankedge.com/products.html

I got the six-sensor iSeries monitor for 1) top waste tank, 2) fresh water tank and 3) windshield washer fluid tank. No sensor for the lower waste tank as that fills pretty fast.

The tank needs to fit thru the opening under the helm foot rest. Also make sure there is room to get around the water heater. The heater was not an issue for us as I had removed the water heater a long time ago as we never found the need for hot water in South Florida.
Dale Purdy
enJOYCEment
2000 28 TE 1800 hrs
Stuart, FL
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

thanks Dale, my water heater, which we use extensively, is on the starboard side, next to the helm, then going aft is tank and vacuum generator pump etc, and then a bit further aft is one of my two batteries, I have a large cabinet next to my captains chair, which I can remove, and the tank and pump are right there
Fairhaven, MA
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Hi Greg.
We had an 18 gallon tank installed a few years ago, tight fit.
The installer had a catalog with hundreds of tank shapes and sizes, he picked one that would fit, after measuring 3-4 times, then ordered it from the factory, so semi-custom.
He also glued on a tank level sensor with a remote 90% full, red light in the head area.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

I'll have to do some serious measuring, and see if I can add onto the existing tank, or remove it, and start over, either way, the piping/plumbing etc is a concern, and I'm guessing I should replace the vacuum generator pump if I'm going all in, with new duck bill valves etc............as I'm sure they're original, 2005
Fairhaven, MA
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Gregg - As I recall, I believe that you had a Vacuflush system where the vacuum generator is built into an all in one unit inclusive of the holding tank??? If so, can it be removed? If so, it can be rebuilt for around $200 and reused saving you beau-coup bucks over buying a new standalone vacuum generator that's in the $1,700 range. Often times because of space constraints, you'll see the vacuum generator in one location and the holding tank in another.

A very good resource is AquaStar Distributors out of Long Island, NY. They have lots of online troubleshooting videos and will talk to you over the phone to help you design a custom system that works for your boat. Here's a link to standalone vacuflush holding tanks on their website:
https://www.aquastardistributors.com/pr ... ing-tanks/

If you do need to get into re-plumbing all that nice hose that you put in, Nancy is correct that the Raritan Sani Flex is easier to work with and as permeable resistant as the Trident hose that you had used prior. I used the Sani Flex on a couple of tight bends on to my tank, but went with the Trident on the long runs to save a few of my boat bucks to "always" spend elsewhere.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

thanks Kevin, it is a Vacuflush system, I'll have to take another good look at it, I believe your correct, I may be able to remove it, if so, who can do the rebuild?
I've attached a few pics I have of the system, unfortunately, at present, I don't have a good handle as to what I'm looking at, how it works etc, but in the near future I'll be learning all about it.

I don't have any interest in dropping $1,700 at this point, and I'd need to add the cost of the new tank and hose etc etc, and you're so right, the Trident hose was a bear to run down the side of the hull to the head, and tie it in......took forever and a lot of aggravating moments, new words were created that have yet to make it to Websters..........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Fairhaven, MA
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

What .. Only before and NO After pictures of all the beautiful work that you did? :wink:

From comparing your pictures, the decal on the tank along with the VacuFlush Product Guide, it looks like you have the the 10 HTS-VG which is described as having the vacuum generator and pump attached. The VG configurations, are all all in one inclusive of tank, vacuum generator and discharge pump. I've attached the Product Guide from VacuFlush which you will see on pg. 23 how I have zoned in on the 10 HTS-VG as your current system.

The Product Guide has dimensions which will also help you in determining what you might be able to fit in your available footprint once you get opened up again for access to the current system and looking elsewhere for possible locations for components.

By scrolling to pg. 26 you will see stand alone holding tanks that are rigged with inlets and outlets ready for the waste inlet hose from a stand alone vacuum generator, standalone discharge pump, pump out and venting. Keep in mind that If you go stand alone, you might be able to use an off brand discharge pump. I know of a dockmate where Pursuit had installed his VacuFlush system as standalone with a VacuFlush toilet, VacuFlush vacuum generator, off brand tankage and an off brand discharge pump. I'm sure that it must have saved the builder some money on build cost to incorporate off brand components. This will be a great off season project.

Remember to not be shy about calling AquaStar tech support as your ticket to "practical" tech support to help guide you through. I had engaged them in the past and always rewarded them for their time and advice with parts purchases.

VacuFlush-Product-Guide- 2015.pdf
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

those were the only pics I had, funny enough,, I just checked August 8, 2021, two years ago to the day, and I replaced all the hoses in the boat that winter...........and never took one pic of the work done....thanks as always, I have some research to do and get educated, I downloaded, and printed out the product guide, and will be reviewing it in the coming months to prepare for the number one winter project for this year..............unfortunately for you................I have your number and will be looking for guidance I'm sure. Thanks for reaching out and responding to the post Kevin.
Fairhaven, MA

Return to “General Discussion”